Which would you rather have in your community?

Most of the Detroit suburbs have curbside recycling and garbage collection. Most also have their garbage collection managed by the city in which they live.

The city where my parents live is touting that it's the first in Michigan to offer "recycling rewards". That means they get a check in the mail every few months based on the weight of the recyclables they've sent to the curb for pick up, usually between $25-$40. Not bad, right?

n my city we still get paid for our recyclables but the city keeps the money.

Which would you rather have? Recycling rewards or a little extra revenue for your city?

I think they are both good options but i'm happy to let my city keep the money.

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It depends. Our city makes money off the recycled material and the money is put back into updating the program when new innovation is available. if the city is funneling the funds into things other than the recycling/garbage program,i'd rather see the check myself

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I agree with the pp. I think it depends on what they're doing with the money. If it's for things like parks and rec programs, or to put towards recycling programs, or towards things like trash pickup in public places (ie - streetside garbage cans) - then fine. Otherwise, then I would rather get the money myself, or have it be applied as a "credit" towards my trash bill.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think I would like rewards
    Nikki_2379

Answer by Nikki_2379 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Either would be fine with me. Our community has business' that do recycling, so they keep the money. Funny how we're encouraged to recyle, but we pay for it, and the community doesn't see any profits except ONE local busness. the other company that recycles is out of state (i use the local one).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'd like to give back to the community.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think that a recycling rebates program would encourage a lot more people to get serious about recycling everything they possibly can. I don't think most people would notice as much or care as much if the funds go to the town/city.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Revenue that goes back to the city , in hopes that it will go to the schools.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Why not both?

Give back to the community or your family.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My city (Austin) signed contracts with its recycler when times were better and the city is now losing money on recycling.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It would depend on what the money was allotted for.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011