Are you being treated for migraines?

What have you tried for migraines and what has or hasnt worked.... for me my primary care dr and my neuroligist have tried an insane amount of drugs and the only one that worked was topamax which gave me glaucoma at age 25. Since then I have tried more drugs, more tests, scans, mris, chiropractic care and nothing worked....anyone else have this issue?

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 9:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Health

• i've taken imitrex for about 10 years now. it seems to be the only thing that works for me. i have to take it the SECOND i feel it coming on, and even then it takes upwards of an hour or two. i usually have to have a second dose too. i've had all sorts of scans and tests, and they've found nothing. oh, i also get prescribed zofran for the nausea and vomiting that i also get with migraines. on a side note, dont you guys just HATE it when people say 'oh, i have such a "migraine" today", when in fact they have a sliver of a headache! they have NO idea! =o)
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I came off of Topamax and Imitrex a few years ago when I got pregnant for the first time. I have been able to control my migranes by avoiding all pain relievers (Tylenol, etc. causes cluster headaches which = migranes for me) and self medicating with caffiene when I feel a headache coming on. I also do some pressure point therapy (self taught, self administered). I've only had a few unbearable migranes since, mostly it's under control. I hope you can find something that works for you.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I find that when I have the start of a migran, I take some ibuprofen, then take in some caffeine of some sort! It doesn't always help but tends to take the edge off. I am not currently on meds for it though
    Nikki_2379

Answer by Nikki_2379 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'm on Topomax. I went to a chiropractor just to see if he could help me, but that was a BAD idea. He told me I was developing osteoarthritis and that I have the spine of a 50 year old. I went to my regular doctor and she did and x ray and said my spine was fine. Topomax seems to be helping. My problem with migraines is that I get them when I am losing weight. I can control them fine when I am not trying to lose weight. Unfortunately, I have about 40 pounds to go and then hopefully I can get off medication.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 3:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2011