Can a child be diagnosed with Autism when in fact the child might suffer from a different condition?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I believe so. I believe mitochondrial issues and autoimmune issues can cause Autism-like symptoms. BUT everyone thinks I'm mental for it. :) True Autism does not respond to diet changes and supplements and some kids do AMAZING on the diets and supplements. So to me, yes, there is more than one thing under the "Autism" umbrella.
    I'm no longer in the mood for Cafemom Autism debates. But if you want to chat, PM me of just read my journals.
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 9:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I definitely think it's possible, but that said denial is very common in parents of newly diagnosed kids also.

Answer by missanc at 9:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Well, I would certainly take him in for an evaluation of some sort. I think a Mommies gut doesn't lie, and perhaps further testing is in order,, I would write down EVERYTHING that you boy is doing and take it with you.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Of course. Diagnosis' can be incorrect. Autism is becoming over-diagnosed nowadays, so i would definitely get a second opinion from someone who specializes in that area.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 9:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Well it depends on the age of the child at the time. If a doc is diagnosing a 15 month old,he can be wrong. If the child is 3,they probably are right
    What other condition are you thinking?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No, all diagnoses of autism are 100% correct. - Just kidding!

Of course it's possible. I think it's even more possible the younger the child is - since it's difficult to see and understand all of the symptoms at a very young age.

As a parent of a child diagnosed with autism at 3, I myself sometimes wonder if it's accurate. However, proceeding with the treatment path - has resulted in huge gains for him. As long as he's making progress, I try not to get too hung up on whatever label they want to call it.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• "What other condition are you thinking?"

Maybe a medical condition rather than a mental condition. Did I make myself clear? I don't know how to explain it exactly!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Telep...
    Could I ask you what kind of treatment are you talking about. I know parents with autistic children that would give anything to see their children getting better. I know the children might get rid of the "Autism" but at least they can better function in the community. Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• *might NOT get rid of
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• *or just read* Freaking typos :)
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 9:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2011