• In the Spotlight:

If you didn't have braxton hicks how did you know you were in labor?

If you didn't have braxton hicks (which I dont) how did you know you were in labor? or it was time to go to the hospital? (did you have to be induced?) I'm almost 38 weeks, and I know he's coming within the next two weeks.

I'm a first time to be momma, so I don't know this stuff.

Thanks!

jessiskinner200

Asked by jessiskinner200 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Every woman describes early labor pains differently. Some like period cramps, some like indigestion, some like having to poop, some like back spasms. However it starts, once the contractions assume a regular rhythm that is getting progressively more intense and closer together, you'll know. Talk to the doc about how to time contractions, and how far apart they should be when you call him or her and go to the hospital.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I never had Braxton Hicks contractions. I found out I was in labor when my water broke. It was the day before my due date and I was at the OBGYN's for my final checkup, my husband and I were in the room waiting for the doctor to come in when my water broke. I didn't even have contractions until I was at the hospital and almost fully dialated and they were about to do the epidural. I had only 3 painful contractions. I took a nap when I was in labor and they woke me up to push. My son was born about 3 hours after my water broke. As soon as the epidural wore off, I took a shower, put on my pre-pregnancy clothes, and went out to dinner with my husband before returning to the hospital to spend the night. I was shocked at how easy it all was as I am a very petite lady.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 9:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• BH has nothing to do with labor. When you start having contractions that don't go away with changing position or laying down, then you are in labor.

Answer by missanc at 9:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I just started having contractions and lost my mucus plug with the first 3. The last one my water broke. I never had braxton hicks with any of them.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I take you you mean how can you differentiate when the time is right to check yourself in, etc?
    Well, you'll feel the contractions... I was induced with my first, started to feel the contractions, the machine timed them that time, and they ended up breaking my water.. but I oculd definitely feel them intensify.

with my second.. my water "broke" (no it wasn't like a gush like with my first when they broke my water, it ws more like, I had a slight accident feeling). my contractions started about 3 hours later to where I could feel them. an hour after that they were 3 minutes apart and we went to the hospital.. and she came out a total of 7 1/2 hours after my water broke.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I had braxton hicks with my second, but you need to know that you just need to time the contractions. If they are random, then they are braxton hicks.. if you feel them and you can time them and they start to get close to 3 minutes apart, then it's time to go and check in at the hospital. It feels like a tightening in you lower belly. it doesn't always have to start out painful.. It was pretty tolerable for me up until I was 2 hours away from labor with my second. (all natural birth).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• With my 1st I never experienced any signs of labor except a few weeks before I went into labor I started to lose my mucus plug in pieces. One week after my due date my water broke. That was it. I never had braxton hicks, diarrhea, nesting instinct, ect.....
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think you will know. it is similar to a lot of different stomach and back pains that you have. I hate saying this, but you will know... Your belly generally gets tight, feeling like gassy, and back pain. I was induces so I felt all of it in the hospital. Although I am sure it is all very similar. I am 11 weeks with my second one and had a long long day on Saturday and about 10 pm got my first experience of braxton hicks. They feel the same as real contraction you can see your belly go down because of the pressure.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 16, 2011