A normal pear has about 50 times as much formaldehyde as most vaccines

Regular bread has about 10 times as much formaldehyde as in kid's vaccines, spinach has up to 40 times as much and smoked ham has over 1000 times as much formaldehyde as in kid's vaccines. (see link: formaldehyde in food) Formaldehyde is an essential naturally produced substance in many living things (including humans).

There was a question yesterday where someone pointed out that formaldehyde is now officially considered a carcinogen, and she was worried because it's used in vaccines. I understand why this might scare someone. BUT as several of the moms pointed out, the amounts of formaldehyde are very, very small to the point of being negligible.

How do you know this? Well, it's hard for most people to be able to conclude this independently because they don't know how to research this information and how to analyze it. Google isn't always your friend - anyone can post any half-truth out there. Fortunately, some of us (like me) know where to look and how to analyze the data. I've spent 8 years in drug development research in pharmaceutical companies and I was curious (and bored) last night, so I dug around a bit. It would take too long to go through my findings and calculations here, but here is one blog that covers the topic WAY better than I could. Just The Vax

After reading this, are you still scared about the amount of formaldehyde in vaccines? If you are considering not vaccinating your kid because of these fears, are you also reconsidering letting your kids eat fresh apples, pears and carrots or maybe a ham and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread?

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 10:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• This anti-vaccination fad is so dangerous.
    There is formaldehyde in our carpets and flooring too. Its in almost everything. There are so many chemicals out there. But if there is anything in a vaccine,it is such a TEENY amount its NOT a threat.
    But diseases ARE a threat. You are all too young to know how dangerous small pox,diphtheria ,whooping cough,POLIO are. Get with it---read about it!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• That's fine that you are jumping on the formaldahyde bandwagon, but have you looked into the other ingredients in the vaccines? Rhesus monkey tissue. Aborted fetal tissue. Antifreeze. Peanut oil (remember folks how doctors are telling you that peanuts are highly allergenic? They are sticking it into your children). Frankly I would not intentionally inject a disease into my child no matter what ingredients are in them. And thanks for the info. I will be researching it. And if it is the same formaldehyde (remember, the one's they use in the labs are NOT natural, they are chemical), I will not be allowing my children to eat these things. Just because we think it is good for our children, does not mean that it is. Everyone should have ALL of the facts about everything and make a decision on what your think is best for your OWN children.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Is there a difference between exposure to toxins via touch or digestive system (which provides some protection), versus it being directly injected into the body?

How long does it take for formaldehyde to process out of the body? Does the combination of different toxins injected into the blood stream interact differently on the body then an individual ingredient does?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• interresting....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Ok, I just checked that link and there is actually no website to it. How do you know that it is real? Funny, my vaccine research gave me the ingredients and information on a bunch of websites including government, the AMA and CDC. This is a page that doesn't have a site to it, just imageshack which anyone could have made up. More proof please before scaring mothers into thinking their kids are going to get cancer from spinach and apples.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Seriously? R u sure the information is real?? That chemical is a carcinagin,causes cancer.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Vaccines are a tough issue for me. On the one hand, I do think the anti-vaccine movement can get a little hysterical or overreact to certain things, at the same time just because the government says it's completely safe doesn't mean I am just going to blindly follow their recommendations. Certainly the FDA has approved drugs and then had to turn the decision around so it's not a foolproof system. But I also agree with the point that my generation is very far removed from having to seriously worry about child deaths from measles, mumps, whooping cough, polio, etc. so we aren't as conscious of the impact those illnesses have on children, because we haven't experienced them which is thanks in large part to vaccines. As mothers, I think ultimately most of us think it over, do some research, and try to make the best choice that we can live with. We don't all arrive at the same conclusion, but we all get there trying to do our best.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• mmmmm....Ham....

Im sorry were you saying somthing?
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• All medicines and proceedures have potential side effects and risks, as parents and patients, it's our responsibility to weigh risks to benefits.

for example, I'm personally sold on the polio vax regardless of carcinagin risks because of how dangerous that illness is. My dad used to come back from summer vacation, and the first day of school, he'd look around to see which of his classmates had died that summer from Polio...usually 2-4 from his class were gone each year.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 3:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Ok, now I just looked at the other website you put up. It's a blog. Anyone can write anything on a blog. I think I will still trust Google when looking things up. I don't look at one website and make my decisions, I do extensive research before coming to any conclusions.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2011