Do i tip a seamstress?

We have a wedding to go to this weekend and my DD is the flower girl. Her dress was a little to large for her in the bodice so i took it to a seamstress to have it altered. This is a rush order so we will already be paying a little extra. Do we need to tip a seamstress? if so how much do I tip her?

punkomama08

Asked by punkomama08 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• It takes a LOT of work especially on a wedding dress regardless of what they make I think it nice to tip folks, but that is just me. I tip my hair stylist and he isn't the cheapest person in town, but when you go just for a hair cut and he makes you feel like a queen and right away offers you a glass of wine or a soda pop. That is something that you don't see often these days folks trying to make you happy the best they can!
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 10:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Seamstress don't get paid what they are worth. The talent and skill it takes to tear apart a garment and put back together, is more difficult then most realise. Also at times it takes longer then you would realise. If you paid her by the hour at minimum wage it would be more expensive, then the piece work that they charge. So yes I would tip her.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't tip. It isn't like a waitress, you are paying what she charges for a service and not being serviced by someone that makes less than minimum wage plus tips.

If you want to "tip" her, take some of her business cards if you are satisfied with her work and recommend her. Also write up recommendations on Facebook and other public forums for her.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would tip her, it doesn't have to be like 15% or anything. Maybe 10%.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would. She took on a rush job. It might depend on much extra she charged for it being a rush job. But I expect that I would.
    swizzleday

Answer by swizzleday at 11:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would. She is setting aside the work she needs to be doing to help you on short notice.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 11:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• it isn't required but if she is really good and recommended by others then maybe I would if I had the extra to tip her with; and if it is on short notice then yes I would
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't tip a seamstress unless it was a rush job.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Oops, and I see it was - perhaps 10% tip?
    tasches

• I would say no. I believe that the seamstresses are usually paid a fair wage unlike waitresses.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2011