Eating out with kids

Has anyone else noticed that the kids menu's at most restaurants are not very healthy at all? My dd quit ordering kids meals a long time ago and generally eats a relatively healthy adult meal. I have a neighbor who is a single mother and she and her dd eat out ALL the time. Her dd is slightly overweight. My dd has gone with them a number of times and tells me that the little girl ALWAYS eats chicken strips and fries. Anyway to get to the point.... The mother was asking for ideas to help her dd lose weight so the kids won't tease her anymore. Her dd hates to play outside. I think a few home cooked meals and less chicken strips and fries would go a long way.

Now I do realize some restaurants offer "Healthier" options for kids meals...but I think eating out almost every night is a bit much. Even with the healthier options. She eats at every single kids eat free place she can find. She seems to think it is cheaper than buying groceries.

Any tips on how I can help her?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's that the mom doesn't KNOW what to do, in most cases I think the parents aren't willing to say "no honey you can't have the fried chicken strips and ff's" or "yes, you must go outside and play until I call you to come in"
    In order to lose weight, she needs to change her daughter's eating habits AND get her active. Enrolling her in a kids sport, dance, gymnastics, etc. might be more fun for her than playing outside and will help but unless it meets everyday for an hour isn't enough on its own.

Answer by missanc at 11:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• give her healthy recpies.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think if she likes to eat out and thinks that it is cheaper then I would suggest her DD getting a veggie as her side instead of the french fries or trying grilled chicken instead of the fried.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It is cheaper then buying and cooking food when it's just 2 people and she goes tot he kids eat free places. but yes insterad of the fries the kid should get a sald or fruit and maybe pull the breading off the chicken or ask if there is anyway she could get a grilled chicken breast instead cut into strips.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think she needs to get her kid active, maybe karate or something more individualized, also have you just talked to her about not eating out all of the time? I would send some healthy, fast food ideas for her, so sad for the little girl.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You wonder why there is an epidemic of childhood odesity? Restaurants and fast food restaurants that do not offer any healthy options for young children should be blamed for a big potion of this! don't you think?
    Wanabmommy

Answer by Wanabmommy at 11:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2011