Advance warning on shots?? HELP!

My DD is scheduled for the HUGE round of 4-year-old shots next week (4 or 5 shots??? -- UGH) and I can't decide whether I should tell her before we go. Ordinarily I would, but in this case, she will simply stress herself out and I will end up having to practically (or literally) DRAG her to the doctor's office! What would you do and say to your child??

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• nope don't tell her if she asks tell her maybe your not sure..no sense in making it more stressful for you.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• happymama __ I agree, just hate tricking her. Thanks!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't give them. I've been doing a lot of research and decided that it's not such a good idea for my children. I would never put my child through that torture or any other kind unless it was absolutely necessary (like saving their life). The decision is always the parents however and I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. But think about it this way, if it was you, would you want to know first or not? Maybe telling her and getting her prepared might be best. If not everytime you take her to the doctor she is going to freak out, even if she's not going for a shot.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• pre warning is good
    but not long of a time that she will fret
    maybe a little chat - like in a book about trip to doctor office
    and not mention going to happen to her
    then before exam a little mention of book about doctor visit
    see how she reaCT
    but mention of shots themselves, i would not mention until in the doctor office a few moments before and remind of book read

prepare her but not too much

has she had issue with before, i mean more issue than any kid would have?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• no, fiatpax, she has had no major issues, I just feel so bad for her and she trusts me completly so It makes me feel worse! Great advice though -- have to find a book about it!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• as others have said, I'd tell her you're not sure what the dr is going to do. the stressing is far more hurtful and will make both of your day's difficult. In some situations a white lie is not only appropriate but helpful. feel the guilt and do it anyway. good lusk
    misha230

Answer by misha230 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would tell her "hey we are going to the dr and after we will go get some cookies(or whatever she likes) " that way she knows that after her dr no matter what she will be focused on cookies
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't tell her she had to get shots , just tell her she is going for a check up , no sense in making her worry the whole time.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I always tell my kids before the appointment, but not too far before the appointment. In the car on the way to the appointment is when I usually bring it up. I tell them about all the things they'll do at the appointment, not just the shots. I try to sound somewhat excited about how big and strong they are and how we'll have a fun treat afterwards.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I agree with tweenandtwinmom, IF you decided to tell don't say anything until the car ride over and promise icecream or a trip to the zoo or whatever you think would lighten the situation.
    Wanabmommy

Answer by Wanabmommy at 12:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2011