Is Ronald McDonald to blame for childhood obesity?

He has been around FOREVER! So why is he a problem now? Here is my theory....The blame for childhood obesity lies at the feet of the parents. I don't know about you....but my 8 yo does not have a job so therefore she has no money nor a car to get to McDonalds to get a Happy Meal. On the rare occasions that she gets McDonalds we don't do the Happy Meal because the toys are crap and she typically eats more. She generally likes the grilled chicken sandwich, no fries because she doesn't like potato's, and apples...

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree. It is the fault of the parents. The parents are in charge of what their children eats.. just because they want McDonalds everyday..doesn't mean they have to get it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• AMEN! Now what about the evil video games, that manage to turn themselves on and force children to play them for hours on end?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I fed my children on McDonald's since I didn't learn to cook when I was younger. They were not obese. They went out and played and stayed active. So no R.Mc is not the reason. It's bc kids won't get off their behind and be active burning up the calories.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yep, its the parents. And yet this is another example why kids are so out of control and take no responsibility, because they are taught to point the finger at everyone else but themselves. Makes me so mad!!!
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No and neither are school lunches. It is happening because first of all we are stuffing formula into children until they are a year, to the exclusion of decent food. They don't get the taste and want to eat garbage after that. Not to mention formula is high in fat. Now they want the second year of formula. Then we give our kids what they think they will like instead of healthy meals. They then sit with busy work all day at school. Most schools do not give recesses anymore. Then they come home to cartoons 24/7 or video games or the computer. We don't allow our children out to play as much because it is dangerous. If the child moves around too much, as is normal for a child, then they must have ADHD so we fix that so they can sit still in school with medication, so therefore, no movement. It has nothing to do with McDonald's, that's just silly. It's lack of movement.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yeah. My kid takes dance and is constantly outside playing, riding bikes, swimming, skating, and all that.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i hate that ppl use him as an excuse. my DD loves McDs & has no idea who Ronald is (shes 3). she loves that her apples come w/ caramel & that she usually gets a toy for a movie she likes.

its the parents who want to eat there all the time &/or refuse to say no to their kid that are the problem...not a semi-creepy clown mascot thats rarely even used anymore.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:23 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• honestly how about making the schools take some of the blame for cutting recess and pe out of most kids days....or that fact that kids have so many laws/rules about playing outside that parents are scared to let them leave the house ....get real people my parents let me have MCd's as a child, ride a bike with no helmet and drive after dark (as a teenager) and i turner out fine.....i think the bigger problem is to many people telling others whats good for them and whats not.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• uh...no...the parents are to blame... they feed the kids and too many kids play video games and watch tv all day and don't go play outside I think that's the parents faults too...turn the things off and make em go play! Fried and a burger/chicken nuggets are fine every now and then...not all the time and if parents are too buy to cook at home then they should get healthier options. ordser the apples instead of the fruit or get a cheese burger and a side salad with light dressing. I get 1 meal with fries and 1 meal with apples and a side salad and split it all between my 3 kids they get a little of everything that way.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Totally agree. Parents that think its the fast food industries fault, should take a look in their kitchen cabinets and count how many cobwebs there are. That movie, super-size me, is completely bogus. The guy that did it, doesn't let anyone see his diet record that he kept when doing the documentary. Another documentary called Fathead, did what the supersize guy did, and ate at mcdonalds for 30 days, and tried to add up everything to see if any of the food would add up to over 5000 calories, and nothing did. But in supersize the guy said he ate over 5000 calories a day with just 3 meals, the fathead guy found out that it was impossible because no matter which combination of food he added up, nothing was over 5000, so the supersize guy lied, and ate more than he should have. The fat head guy actually lowered his cholesterol, only thing he did was walk 6 days a week for I think either 30 minutes or an hour.I recommend fathead.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2011