I have a 2 year old boy and his pet die yesterday. how can we deal with this????

jdeleon

Asked by jdeleon at 11:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pets

• What kind of pet, fish, hamster, go get a new one and keep it quiet! A dog or cat, you just need to explain that they went to heaven, or whatever you believe in, at 2 it is going to be hard for him to grasp the concept of death, so he probably will recover quickly.,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:21 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• it was a dog a siberian husky....
    jdeleon

Comment by jdeleon (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We have had animals pass away and we bury them in the backyard and have a little funeral to say something nice and then we explain they will go to Heaven. We have always replaced the animal as my kids (all 5 of them) grew up with animals around. The best way to get over it --is to rescue another animal that needs help and a home and before you know it, you are concentrating on the new animal that needs all your love!
    angelgirl62

Answer by angelgirl62 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Explain to him that your pet went to a better place and just be there to comfort him and support him.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 11:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Pets r family. He is going to hurt. Wait a little and adopt another dog and u can call him the same name but put little at the beginning or jr. at the end of the name. Do u think u will eventually get another dog?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We lost our dog last March, my son is 3. I was honest with him about it, but I satyed on his 3 year old level. We had her cremated, and while I don't think he understands right now, he knows she is gone and not coming back. He still talks about her a lot and says he misses her, I just tell him that me and daddy miss her too and it's okay to be sad and to miss her. Death is a fact of life and it may be hard for a child to understand but so are many, many other things they encounter.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• BTW, I'm sorry for your loss, I know it's hard (((HUGS)))
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• This happened to us. My son was 2 and him and Chance(half pit and half not sure) were inseparable. From the time I had become pregnant with my son, Chance never left him. (try having a 60 pound dog trying to sleep around your stomach at night) He had to sleep next to the crib even. When I went to pick up Chances ashes after he passed away, I had my son with me. He looked at the container and patted it and said in a 2 year old voice "good Chance" He cried his heart out. I explained that Chance went to sleep and that he would still watch over him. He is going on 6 now but Chance's collar still hangs over his doorway. The most I can say is just be honest with them and do what you can to help them through it.
    tomboymom2826

Answer by tomboymom2826 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• just let him know that the dog is in a better place and that it is no longer suffering; and maybe have the dog cremated and have the ashes in an urn with a picture next to it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• ladies thank you for your advice and support.... it was a really hard day my son crying all day ....
    jdeleon

Comment by jdeleon (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2011