Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Any help will be appreciated: Yes, I know I screwed up!!!! Does anyone know how to get an original birth certificate a year after the birth? Not a copy, a REAL birth certificate....

Yes, I screwed up. Yes, I know. If you don't have an answer just pass the question by, please. Things happened after our son's birth last year that prevented us getting it right away, then we forgot, then we got busy, ect. ect. ect. I KNOW it is important!!!!

Thank you for serious answers.....


Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Here all you ever get is a copy and the original stays on file. I still don't have my 2 year old's, so don't feel bad lol.

    Answer by Xynyth at 11:23 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • I would suggest calling you're state's vital statistics office and going from there. You usually get the paper work in the hospital, but I doubt after a year you still hve it floating around.

    Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • You need to call the state department and have them direct you to where to order and or pick up one. The original is kept on file with them, and all birth certificates are copies. You need one with a seal on it, and it usually cost about $20 to get one,, I lost mine and went to the local place, and got one,, they just need it to be official (meaning stamped)

    Answer by kimigogo at 11:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • Just google "how to get an original birth certificate from______" whatever state he was born in. It pulls up quite a few sites, info etc
    From what I can tell....the state KEEPS the original and we all get what's called an 'Official Birth Certificate with the State SEAL' on it.
    That's the best I can do....I hope it helps!

    Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • Go to the court house in the city he was born. They also may have a website where you can go and send in for one.

    Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • Some states are at the health department and others are at vital statistics. They will send you an original one, most states for under $20. And that's the one with the seal on it. It isn't the end of the world. Texas you have to pay for the birth certificate originally, so if you don't have the money you are SOL.

    Answer by attap5 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • Thanks ladies!! We've been feeling pretty stupid about it....Our first child and everyone we know got theirs the day they left the hospital, so we didn't know what to do. I hate to make excuses, but we had a rough birth, a long hospital stay, and my husband had to work every day to pay the bills. With one car, I had no way to do it, they weren't open on weekends, and the time just flew by until we got to now.... Thanks again!!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • Here is stupid - I was registering my oldest for kindergarten and remembered all my proofs of residency and that good useful stuff...and forgot the birth certificate. Thankfully the town offices were right across the street from the Bd of Ed. :) I went in, filled out the form and they handed me the official stamped with the seal and all that certificate.

    Just call your township offices and ask. They'll give you the right procedures for your city.

    Answer by ldmrmom at 11:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • They only give you a copy though it is an "official copy" that is what you use to get them in school. My dd is 4 and I still don't have her's, why because is is $50 and I haven't needed it yet, and I know I would have lost it by now if I got it when she was born so I am waiting till this coming year to get it for her for school

    Answer by JLS2388 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • my dd is over a yr old and i have never gotten hers..she was born in another state and when she came home i was so overwhelemed with her being a preemie i never got around to it..according to the nicu all i have to do is go to the local health dept in that state and they will give me original and i dont have to pay for anything

    Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011