Did you go to summer camp as a kid?

I went to a summer day camp, and loved it! What were your experiences, good or bad?

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 11:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, I went to overnight camp most years - and a daycamp sponsored by the local university several years as well.

Answer by missanc at 11:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes I went to an overnight camp for 2 weeks each summer. BEST time of my adolescent life!!!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I did! And my kids have gone 2 weeks each summer to YMCA Storer Camps in Napoleon MI from the time they were in second grade until they were old enough to be CIT's, (Counselors In Training) They loved it, it had a profound affect on their childhood. I recomend that experience whole heartedly.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes I did. The first time I was @ 8 and was so homesick. Later years I had a great time and once I was a camp counselor.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I barely remember that! Thanks for reminding me! I loved it!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yep. from 10-14ish I was stuffed into a summer day camp run by the city parks & rec. See glorified babysitters for (single) working, broke parents that couldn't do anything else with/for their kids.

The first couple of years it was fun. After that it was pretty dumb and boring.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I went once and I would never go again. Bad teachers, bad coaches, and terribly bad and unfriendly kids from the bigger city. I would not send my kids to any kind of camp during the summer. Better I make one by myself.
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 12:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My mom would send us to these day camps where it was free we would go to very expensive places that were free but once you got in it sucked because she could not afford to send us with money so everyone else would have money (We were the scholarship kids) and we would be unable to enjoy it.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No I did not go to summer camp. We lived on a lake in Northern Minnesota every summer so that was like being a camp everyday.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011