Is ignoring still the solution in this case?

We had awful (but typical) problems with my daughter when she was 18 months old; constant tantrums about everything, and she began hitting and throwing things. We made it through with lots of ignoring...the less attention she got, the more she was willing to settle down.

There were a few peaceful months, and now that she's 23 months, she had started acting up again. This time it's screaming "no no no no" and "fine!" for everything. (We can't even figure out where she got the word "fine" from, but the attitude of it is infuriating!) I'm afraid it may be because she senses change...she's going to have a little sister in under 2 weeks.

Is ignoring still the best policy at this age? We try to praise when she's being good, but those times are few and far between. I'm terrified to take her out in public right now!! :-/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think if she is throwing a fit over nothing- ignore it. But if she hurts someone else or is talking back to you try time-outs.
    Also, I just read in some article that kids go through stages about every 6 months or so. They will be perfectly happy and content, and a few months later they bust out some nasty attitudes and its's just part of development.
    ceemuhreeashbee

Answer by ceemuhreeashbee at 2:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You could use gentle and very calm time-outs... I now use the high-chair turned away for 1 minute with explaining it before and very calm and gentle with her and and lots of love afterwards. It has helped tons.
    Mommy--

Answer by Mommy-- at 3:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Have you ever heard of the terrible twos? This is the kind of the thing that children this age do. Especially the NO NO NO as loud as they can. Some start at 15 months some at 2 it lasts around 6 months and at times u will think that you where crazy to have 1 child much less 2. I noticed one day that just when I was going to sell my daughter to the next person that said she was cute she started turning back into her old sweet self. It is part of growing up and becoming there own person. And it goes on and on around every 2 years until around age 20. At least that has been my experience with my 2 girls. One is 31 today and the other is 19. and a Mother since she was 17. She is experiencing the same thing with my grandson. On really bad days I put a kid for rent tee shirt on the girls and then daddy knew that I needed a break and a bubble bath.

granmaw56

Answer by granmaw56 at 7:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• DD acts like this sometimes...but I spank her...which is why she acts like this SOMETIMES! We do a combo of timeouts and spankings....
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2008