If you were raised by a single mother...

how has it impacted your life? Do you believe you were better off with out a father?

Do you believe that all children are better off with both parents or it does not matter as long as the children are loved?

please indicate if you are single or married?

I am not looking for those that have step fathers or were children of divorce. just those with a single mother and no father at all in the picture. thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It was good and bad,the good was that i know how to work and do things without begging others for help.The bad is that i knew a stressful kinda life at an age i should have been enjoying mine,had my dad been there we wouldn't have struggled.No matter what any kid says they always wish their dad was around and had been this great person.Also there was no real control over my brother,because my mom was so busy with work and the house that she was a little too lazy or lenient on him.Good thing is that i got to spend the nights at my friends often and it was great,the bad is that i had to because my mom wanted to go party and feel young and careless since she missed out and got pregnant too young.The good is that i could sleep in my moms bed anytime and she never brought any guys to our house.The bad is that i always wanted my daddy and no matter how much she tried she couldn't fill his spot.
    Anonymous

• I know you said none of us with stepfathers, but my life would have been dramatically different with my stepfather not in my life. My dad passed away when I was 7, my mom remarried when I was 9 and it was the best thing she ever could have done for me!

Answer by missanc at 11:52 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• than anything in the world and she is my hero for standing strong and stepping up to raise 3 children on her own. I know it was very hard on her (especially since she was battling cancer at the same time all this was happening).
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My mother raised my brother and me alone. My dad lived in another state and we rarely saw him. I think being raised by a single mother made me strong & independent & I don't think she could have done a better job, even with a man. I have a boyfriend now, but I am basically a single mother & I've been told I do an amazing job. I don't think that all children are better off with both parents or better off with just one parent..but I know I came out fine! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My dad left when I was 5, and I lived with my mother until I was 14, then moved in with my dad. In my situation, I had a bad mother so I wish I had been able to live with my dad sooner. I know this isn't the normal situation.

I can't say that "all children" are better one way or the other. There are some married couples who suck at parents and some single moms who are absolutely incredible and vice versa.

I have been married since I was 18. We will celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary in September. Our kids are going to be 6 and 9 this month.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my dad died when i was 10 and my brother was 6. my mom is a psycho who only cares about herself, her own personal gain, and making sure people feel sorry for her. in that situation i would have been better off with only my dad because she has impacted my life and my relationships. i have reoccurring dreams where i'm just screaming at her....now in my daughter's situation she ADORES her father and he adores her. she needs and loves both of us so me alone just wouldn't work. it really depends on the type of person
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We were no better with or without my dad but we are strong and I think its up the parents I was single and in a relationship and single again my kids were happy no matter what happened because I took their needs serious. some children with both parents thrive some also do well with single parents.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Well, I wasn't raised by a single mother until I was 13. But, my brothers were 10 & 6. My father went through a mid-life crisis, left my mom for another man & told my brothers & I he did not love us. So, I have hated my father since then. I think it has hugely impacted my life! My mom was a SAHM until he left & then was forced back into the work force (b/c he left w/out paying child support & we could not find him, until my mom found a good lawyer $15k later to find him & divorce him). She could only find a temp job as a receptionist. So, it makes me not trust DH as much as I should (he hates it b/c he wants me to trust that he will never leave me, but its really hard to). I also learned not to be a SAHM and work hard in my career incase anything ever does happen to DH (rather he leaves me on his own or if the Lord takes his life 1 day). I want to be able to provide for my children. But, I do respect my mom (cont.)
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• What about someone raised by a single father?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• well, my question is about single mother. if you would like to know that. you can ask that question.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011