I'm thinking of getting off my Med's... anyone do this and have success?

I am on Meds for anxiety and depression.. We are going through an insurance change at work that will make the appts, the copays the IN Network Dr's a big issue.. I wonder if I can do this because I am 32 and have been on Meds since I was 15 .. any one had success on this. I plan to watch my diet and eat mostly home grown non processed foods but I am concerned how hard this could be. I have a 3-1/2 year old strong willed little boy who is my world and I don't want this to affect him or my relationship with my husband but I'm scared..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Health

• Sweetie , I would not do this on your own, it could have drastic results, call your doctor and explain what is going on, perhaps he would be able to prescribe generic meds, or lessen the amount you need to visit him,, check into your insurance changes and make sure that they are as expensive as you think, when my company switched, I did have to pay $40 for a doctor's visit and $20 for meds, but generics are sometimes as low as $5... PLease again,, don't self wean your self!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• As the other girls said, talk to your doctor. I am on medication for anxiety (effexor) and I have tried to wean myself off it. The withdrawl is awful. (I'm still on it). But your doctor may be able to help you.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Discuss this with your doctor....he or she could probably advise you if this is a good idea and how to safely do it.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 11:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I've been off mine since I started trying to get pregnant..I did great my entire pregnancy but now that I've had the baby I've just felt so sad and lonely and disconnected...and always either crying or on the verge of crying...I think I'm going to start my meds back...I wouldnt recommend going cold turkey...you should talk to your Dr...maybe he/she can even point in you the right direction to get your meds cheaper...mine are free....good luck hun
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would caution any mother's that are giving advice to get "off" of the meds PAIN pills are for Pain,,so please unless your a doctor,, don't encourage people to play with their lives!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Yes you can do it succesfully, it is so wonderful to live a life free of side effects and I think these meds are given out way too easily. This is my honest opinion, depression and anxiety are a normal part of life, it's called feelings. why should we take a pill for that? America is the most "depressed' country in the world, yet we take more antidepressants than anywhere else but it doesn't really help! There is no magic pill for everything! I don't judge anyone who needs or wants them but I think it's not natural and natural is always best. Just my opinion like I said. I just got off pain meds that i've been on for four years it was hard but totally worth it to live a more natural life. Now I just have to cope with the pain. The pills never really took it away anyways. Good luck and God bless!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011