• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my children to listen???

I have a 3 and 4 year old. They are 11 1/2 months apart and they are very close! My daughter is the youngest and she is a instigater and my some is the big brother who aggravates! They are great and I would do anything for them, but they don't listen!!! They destroy the house and when I ask them to stop and settle down it seems like it gets worse!! They get disiplined and after time out they go right back to doing what they were doing (being Bad)!!! I am at my whitts end!! I am so stressed out and just feeling like a terrible parent!! I wish I could just find a way to get their attention! PLEASE HELP!!!

mommiesbabes

Asked by mommiesbabes at 11:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Never threaten something you won't carry out. Don't yell, except in case of emergency of course. My children learned that when Mom's voice got very quiet that they were in trouble.

Don't do the counting thing, tell them once, then take action. No I'll tell you one more time. No, you have until I count to ten to do it. Tell them once, if they don't do it, then it's the "naughty chair." or whatever time out thing you use.

Praise for good things done, to encourage the doing of good things.

Answer by Bmat at 12:05 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• you need to teach them that if they don't listen that things will happen.
    tell them what you want to tell them once, or twice, but then after that then do whatever you do to show them that they have been naughty
    courtneysmith

Answer by courtneysmith at 6:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Well you should first set them down and get their attention by getting at eye level and tell them in a firm voice to settle sown or not do whatever it is that they are doing. Tell them only one time and if they dont do it then give them their punishment, (whether its the corner or on the steps etc.) You cannot say you are going to do something and not do it because they learn your routine and will take advantage real quick. Stay firm and strong :)
    Panda85

Answer by Panda85 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2008