How can I get the crust off my nipples??

Ok I know this is gross. lol I breastfed my first son for 15 mos, then after I stopped I got pregnant with my second son. I am now 35 weeks pregnant and have this crust on my nipples. One of my doctors said that it may be left over breast milk. I used this cream that he gave me and it went away...for like 2 days. I went in the shower and just kind of rubbed it away and it was gone for a couple of weeks then came back again. I've never had this problem before...has anyone else? Anyone know how to make it go away for good???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• could be dried skin or dry milk. or colostrum that stuff gets pretty gross sometimes. what i did to get rid of it (and also to get my nipples ready to bf) i took washcloths and rubbed them up and down on my nipples when i took a shower and when i got out i put lanolin cream on them.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i dont think you can just make it go away. you can always wipe your nipples down a few times a day.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• The thing is...I don't think I was actually supposed to rub it away like that....
    Anonymous

• its just like old milk right it should be fine
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yeah but it's gross and keeps coming back. I'll be breastfeeding again in a few weeks with my new arrival. I must be leaking at night or something....
    Anonymous

• I would use a wet wipe frequently or maybe put some lotion on during the day and before you go to bed.
    BayB

Answer by BayB at 11:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• yeah, I was going to recommend lotion. Or if you have colostrum yet, you could squeeze a little out and moisturize with that. I always heard that breast milk is good moisturizer for the nipples, I don't know if colostrum works the same or not, though.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It sounds like you are having a tiny bit of leakage? I think around 36 weeks with my first that started.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2008