Birthday party together or two seperate parties?

My son turns 3 next month and his dad and I are divorced. This is the first birthday my son has had since his dad and I split....We get along pretty well but he is not very happy about me being in a relationship and he is not in one...long story, anways what my question is, is what are all your opinions on the birthday party. Would you all throw serperate parties or should my ex and I plan one party together and have all the friends and family come to one party instead of planning our own parties?

logansmommy711

Asked by logansmommy711 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• separate. that is just my opinion though. good luck and let me know how it turns out
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Seperate parties. I do them for my kids and then their dad something with them.
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 12:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My ex and I have two daughters together.. we have been split for 2 years and we both have moved on. We both have separate parties.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I always had the parties for my kids and invited my ex. We don't get along well, but we just avoided each other because I thought he had a right to be there. When I got engaged to my husband he came to my kids bday parties (he didn't when we were just dating), after he was there the first time my ex told me not to invited him again if my fiancee was going to be there. I invited him anyway and he got over it.
    But one bday party for a kid is more than enough!

Answer by missanc at 12:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• If everyone can be civil to each other for the sake of your child, then I would do the party together..., but if you think that things may get out of hand and upset your child, then you should do the parties separate. you have to think about your child. My daughter had to uninvite the father of her youngest son due to the fact that he told her that he was going to "hurt" her friends and kill himself. So as soon as his sisters found out that my dd had uninvited him to the party they decided to boycott the party, and then were upset because they missed their nephews 1st b-day.... dorks. instead of trying to help their brother, they were all pissed at my dd.....
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It depends on how your current s/o feels about it too.I have had parties for my son that I invited his dad to...but over time we just did our own seperate thing.Big things,like graduations...it would be great to get along well enough to plan events like those together...as long as everyone is comfortable with it.Also..you don't want to give your child false hope that you'll be getting back together.Good luck what ever you guys decide to do! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Separate. All of you - 3 (you and your ex and your new boyfriend or partner) will feel uncomfortable. Especially, that little time has passed from your separation. And if you will feel uncomfortable, your son will feel it during the party.
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 12:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would do them separately.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Separate
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2011