Switching auto insurance - accident disclosure

I was in an auto accident; my car was totaled. I filed a claim w/ my auto insurance, and received a check for my car to buy another one. If I change insurance providers, am I required to disclose my claim/accident.

I was the victim of road rage. I received a ticket that was dismissed and not on my acct , as the driver sped off but did not hit me.

What auto insurance agency do you use? Do you have a good rate and customer service.

My current agency is a nightmare. They quoted me and I signed paperwork at $57/mos, but billed me for $68, saying it was a newbie error. refused to let me cancel unless I paid a $98 fee. When I got my "new to me" car, they put a 2005 car that I requested a quote on when I test drove it onto my acct, and canceled the 1999 car I purchased. I provided the documentation for the purchased car. If I'd been in an accident, I wouldn't have been covered! How do you screw this up!!!

kitkabob

Asked by kitkabob at 12:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• I've worked in customer service for car insurance for 3 years, heres how it works:

All car insurance companies have basically 1 big database, every time you file a claim it goes into this database, if/when you switch companies, not only will they run you motor vehicle report, but they will run a report through this database also.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you were hit by someone that didn't stick around when the cops came? If you have the coverage that should have been covered under Uninsured Motorist coverage (which covers hit and runs which it sounds like is what you had happen) depending on your state, you should not be surcharged for an Uninsured Motorist claim. Hope this helps! if you have any more questions feel free to message me =)
    Rampy510

Answer by Rampy510 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• In my experience everything will show up when they check your driving record. I you were not at fault you may even have to have proof that you weren't at fault.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• wow thats really cheap for car insurance! Mine is $416 a month..and if any tickets were issued then the new insurance company will know about them..they automatically check when you are getting a policy..I would def be upset about all the mixups with the vehicle types etc..at the moment i have allstate..i did have geico but one month they jumped my policy up to $500 a month and that was just way over my limit..so far allstate has been good but i have not had any tickets or accidents!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't know how it works, but the insurance agency said they bill accidents for either the ticket or the claim. Since mine was a claim, I had to take a signed letter from the insurance agency to the DA's office, and the ticket "disappeared," it's not on my driving record. I know they look at tickets, but do they look at claims?
    kitkabob

Comment by kitkabob (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes, they will know anyway. And if they don't, you not telling them is fraud. I'm sure you not asking if it is OK to commit fraud, right?

They will also ask if it was an at fault accident, so you should have a chance to note that it was not your fault.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• yes they will look at accidents, tickets, and any claims.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011