My SO says cutting the cord is gross and he doesnt want to do it. Anyones said this and then changed their mind once the moment came?

campbellb3421

Asked by campbellb3421 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i had c-sections so he didnt get the chance but I thin its gross and if it were me i would not want to throw up on the baby so id have to pass
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 12:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think it is part of the whole experience of giving birth!!! I would do it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My husband said that too, but ended up doing it. The dr asks the daddy and if he seems iffy they might "encourage" him. Just tell him it's something he will regret not doing.
    It's not so bad, you have to kinda give it like two "cuts" so you might want to warn him of that lol.
    I know a guy who is still traumatized though. I guess blood splerted out and totally freaked him. Birth is messy anyways so I don't see the big deal. Once he sees your vagagay birthing a cord will seem like nothing.
    I would recommend asking them to not cut it right away anyways, wait till it stop pulsing.
    mrspnut82

Answer by mrspnut82 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My DH wanted nothing to do with it! He is not a blood and guts kind of guy in fact I am happy he survived the birth at all. lol. I ended up with a c-section so it never came up but it never really bothered me he didn't want to cut it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I love, love, love what mrspnut82 said! My husband did, twice, but was surprised the first time that it wasn't just a quick snip. He's definitely not a blood n guts guy either, but I think he just went with the flow, and the dr did ask. I think he was taken off-guard... everything was happening pretty fast for us. If he thinks THAT'S gross, I hope he won't feel that way about changing diapers!
    whomi

Answer by whomi at 12:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My husband didn't want to cut it with either of our boys. He stood his ground with our first son, and our doula ended up cutting the cord. With our second son, the midwife put the scissors in his hands and told him he would "like being a part of it" so he did, and it didn't bother him at all. I still think he could have cared less if he did or didn't...
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My dh didn't want anything to do with cutting the cord either so with my 1st -4th my mom cut their cords, but finally with the 5th he agreed & cut her cord but still said it was gross,lol
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 12:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• If he does not want to, you can do it. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• DH was initially squeemish about being the delivery room at all, but he ended up being fascinated by the whole birth thing. However, when it came time to cut the cord, he respectfully declined. My mom cut DD's cord.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My husband was unsure.He thought it was just gross. But he did it with all our kids.
    Mzwest83

Answer by Mzwest83 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011