I think my 15 month old is down to (1) 2 hour nap a day , he slept from 2pm-4pm the I tried to put him to sleep around 10pm but was crying standing in his crib I didn't let him cry it out I took him out. Would you avoid these late naps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, maybe try putting him down for a nap earlier, like around 12 after lunch. That worked for us when our daughter was this age.
    Anonymous

• If he's dropping a nap, remember that he will still need the same overall amount of sleep. You will need to move his bedtime up. If he is cranky in the evenings and starts to run around like a little wild thing, he is on beyond tired and you have missed his bedtime window.

The rule of thumb for toddler naps is that you should wake him by 5 pm. He should be awake for at least 2 hours before bedtime.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• yea i honestly would because if he isnt tired at 10pm you might either want to try shorter naps like a half an hour a little earlier or try waking him up early so he takes a nap around 12 or 1 and goes to bed earlier or when you want him to at 10pm my son i cant give a nap to at all or he will not go to bed at all at night. when he is in school if he is tired when he comes home i will let him have only a half an hour to an hour nap but no longer we have major problems with this. each child stops having naps at different ages so he may need only a fifteen min nap. try this and see how he reacts to it.
    alangel17

Answer by alangel17 at 1:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• He could also be over tired, that happens here sometimes. I try to have them nap at 12:15 or 12:30 pm, and if they sleep for 2 hours I'm glad, I wish they could get more than that, sometimes they will nap longer, which really helps the overall. Then I try to have them in bed by 7:30-8:00 before they get to the overtired state. If I wait until later, then they get overtired and act like they're not tired and have a hard time going to sleep. They get up about 7:30am.
    Mommy--

Answer by Mommy-- at 3:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2008