How did your children get the name you pick out for them?

My father named my oldest daughter Diamond. He said that it's a precious name for a little girl. Her name as going to be Anna Marie. With my second daughter she was named Kimberlin after my mom Kimberly. My third daughter Ariana was given that name because it was beautiful and had a good meaning behind it.

kewi86

Asked by kewi86 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Baby Names

• i was 28wks and didnt have a name picked out for my dd..i had been feeling really odd that week and for some reason got out my name book i flipped thru from a to z and ended up back in the a's i found the name alli but i didnt like how it was spelled..i discussed it with my dh he liked it too..the next few days i was admitted and she was born..and given the only name we had talked about lol..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I was just randomly spaced off thinking and the name just hit me. I had never heard it before so I wasnt sure where it came from. But I love it and as soon as I told my SO about it, he did too. We chose the middle by taking my SO's middle name and changing the spelling.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We wanted a short, uncommon, not-unusual name. We were driving to my grandmother's for my baby shower, and DH tried picking names out of road signs. He picked out Tess from the welcome to TEnneSSee road sign. It stuck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We named DD after DH's great-grandmother.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My hubs and I went back and forth on baby names for our boys until we finally decided on the ones we chose.
    Connor Joseph-- I liked the name Connor, and Joseph is my dad's name (and a family name in his mother's family)
    Colin Carrier-- hubs suggested Colin after actor Colin Baker, and Carrier was my Grandpa's middle name (and a family name in his family going back to the 1600's)
    Shawn Michael-- we both liked the name, and he is named after 2 athletes that we are fans of.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• The only real name that has meaning to me is my daughter's middle name. She is named after my paternal grandmother, who was an amazing woman. My daughter's first name is one I liked that reflected my Irish heritage that my husband also agreed on. My son's name was one we both agreed to after going through a baby name book, comparing the lists we made, and negotiating over.

No real big drama here. Neither one of us were too horribly passionate about names. Except my daughter's middle name.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• #1 - we wanted to name her after DH's late brother somehow, so we were trying to come up with names using his initials (which are also my initials). Couldn't come up with anything. We were talking to his folks, found out that they'd had a girl's name picked out with him too, loved it, asked if we could use it, we changed the spelling of the first name and changed the middle name.

#2 - since #1 had my initials I wanted #2 to have DH's initials. Found out it was a boy, picked out both names, then someone used our girl name. Picked a new girl name, and it got used again. Picked another, it got used, I said screw it, we're having a boy anyway, we don't need a girl name. Baby was born...you guessed it, it was a girl! Middle name was easy - not many names start with that letter & it's neice's middle name, we knew she'd be happy. First name - we came up with a few, DH left the hospital, started telling everyone that was her name.
    Anonymous

• #2 con't. He came back, told me that, I said no way, I don't like that name! He said tough nuggets, I told everyone that's her name, so that's her name. I still don't like it and it doesn't fit her.

#3. Decided it was going to be our last, and I wanted to somehow name her after my grandpa. So we made up a name - slightly changed grandpa's, DH's grandma & my great grandma had the same name so we slightly changed that, hyphenated it it for her first name. We're Dutch, and there was only 1 Dutch name in our name book, so we changed it to make it feminine for her middle name.

#4 - our only boy, so he has DH's late brother's name for his middle name - there was no question about that. Because of the initial thing, we matches his first initial to #3's nickname initial so there's 2 of each, but looking at just the kids using #3's full name there's 4 different. (Yes, I am weird, and it sounds odd, but it was my decision.)
    Anonymous

• DS1-My husband and I just liked his first name. His middle name is his great-uncle's name. This uncle really took in my husband and I when we were going through a tough time and none of our family was around, so we really wanted to honor him.
    DS2-Again, we just picked a first name. No exciting story. His middle name is my maiden name.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 8:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I came up with my DD's name when I was in high school, years before I met my DH and even thought about actually having a baby. I just loved how beautiful Scarlett Abigail sounded. It fits my little one perfectly. :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011