Inflation rises to highest level in 3 years. Are you surprised?

The Labor Department said on Wednesday its Consumer Price Index, excluding food and energy, increased 0.3 percent, the largest gain since July 2008, after rising 0.2 in April.

Core inflation was lifted by steep rises in motor vehicle and apparel prices and economists had expected the measure, which is closely watched by the Federal Reserve, to rise 0.2 percent last month. …

But in the 12 months to May, consumer prices rose 3.6 percent, the biggest jump since October 2008, and well above expectations for a 3.4 percent increase.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• not suprised.....buy the things u need now and stock up
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 12:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Irritated but not surprised.

If groceries get any more expensive i'll have to consider going freegan.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• NO I AM NOT SURPRISED AND MY HUSBAND WARNED ME ABOUT THIS SO FOR 3&1/2 YEARS WE HAVE BEEN STOCPILING FOODS,200 POUNDS SUGAR,RICE,FLOUR AND LOTS OF CANNED FOODS TOO. IT TOOK A LITTLE GETTING USED TO AND A LOT OF TOTES BUT IT HAS BEEN SO WORTH IT. PLUS I CAN LOOK AT THINGS AND SEE HOW MUCH MORE WE PAY NOW FOR THINGS THAT HAVE SHRUNK IN SIZE. THE SNEEK UP ON U BUT ALMOST EVERYTHING HAS SHURNK BUT THE PRICE!
    froggyfranny60

Answer by froggyfranny60 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I was talking to someone at the gym and they honestly were SURPRISED that things were getting more expensive. They thought for sure the economy would have been in better shape.. Turns out they don't pay attention to the news/economy/business journals frequently..
    But then most of the people I know fall in line with the results of the Gallup poll (the one I posted a week or so ago)... they don't think a great depression will actually happen, but they worry about "what if"....
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Nope..not surprised.My grocery and personal needs bill for my family keeps increasing even when purchasing the same things.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Thank the fed-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Not surprised.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• All of Bush's/Obama policies,cartels, destruction of crops, wage and price controls,and bad policies including the transfer of wealth to the wealthiest. Learn to be self sustainable-get some chickens grow some food, invest in metals. Just in case.

Chart for the last 10 years if your interested.

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/images/charts/Annual_Inflation/annual_inflation_chart.htm
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 1:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Not shocked at all and I expect it to continue to go up. We are very glad we don't live in California right now. Our grocery bill went down by 200 a month moving to Iowa so what I pay now is still much less than what I paid two years ago.

Gas is going back up here too I paid 3.74 a gallon yesterday to fill my car it was down to 3.54 a couple weeks ago. We paid more than that when we were in Wisconsin over the weekend.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 2:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No surprise here ... I'm just glad that we have no real impact since most of our groceries are produced right here at home.

For those of you who buy all of your food, you should know that feed costs and other supplies are all climbing at the same pace as human food. It's across the board.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011