At what age should you be able to leave the room and your children not all of the sudden start a death match?

If I am in the room they are okay with a few prompts I leave the room and with in 2 min they are screaming and someone is usually crying... They are six (closer to seven) and three and a half. It's s toss up which one is crying to... sometimes both! Ahg!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 12:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would love to know. My kids are 25,20,17,5 and 4. Honestly, my 25 yr old son lives to make the younger ones squeal. He is the worst offender when he comes for a visit lol. It never ends!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'm 38. My brother is 34. WE still have days like that. ;)

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Not sure if it ever really ends lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My kids don't really do that. Not to say that it is all peaches and cream between them, but we don't tolerate a bunch of fighting and drama all the time. There are two angles to work on this from. One is to help them develop communication and compromise skills. These don't come naturally to kids. Help them learn to talk it out and compromise. Also help them figure out that if they can't get along they can get out of each other's space. If they are not sharing space well, we separate them. If it continues, we separate them by finding them not-fun chores in separate parts of the house. We keep them engaged this way until they can either get along or leave each other alone.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Whatever age you decide to lay down the rules and make sure they know what is acceptable behavior and the consequences for not following that behavior. Siblings will fight, but an occasional upset is one thing, it's another when you are having to be on top of them when you are in the room and all you know what breaks loose after you leave. Children need to learn that good behavior must be followed whether there is a parent there or not, or as soon as they get out of your sight when they are older, they are going to do as they please because they are not afraid of any consequences from mom.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• They will behave if you enforce some rules on this. They will. If you're tired of it...then set some consequences for when Mama leaves the room and you don't behave. No fighting, no hitting, no screaming at each other etc etc........my girls were really well-behaved. I didn't let them run me....
    That would drive me crazy....they can have fun instead of going beserk when when you leave the room for a few minutes. This will give you some peace of mind and them some proper guidlines on how to act (even at this early age). Try it and don't forget to reward when they do so good and tell them how happy that made Mommy etc etc......Kids need structure, rules, so they learn how to act from now on.
    JMO...it worked great for me. I hope you get some peace !
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 1:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Mine are 17, 16, 10, 8 and it happens still. Sibling rivalry?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Oh trust me I enforce rules. They just don't care. lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My kids didnt do that,until daughter got married then it was her hubby and my son rolling around in the floor like tow small kids,i guess they were seeing whose the strongest are whatevery,,havent figured that one out yet.
    jbaby7162000

Answer by jbaby7162000 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2011