Do you cut and color your own hair?

Been trying to save money by cutting and coloring my hair.
What kind of color do you use?
How do you cut your hiar?

ShelbysHope76

Asked by ShelbysHope76 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• When I used to dye my hair I'd buy 3 boxes of the cheapest hair dye. Use 2 boxes to dye it. Wait a week then use the last box to dye over what I did the first time. Then After the last dye I would cut and layer my hair. Sooo much cheaper but a little more work
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I like my hair stacked up off my neck in the back and need a pro to do that since I can't see it much less cut it straight back there. I do color my own hair. I use a henna rinse weekly. It enhances the natural reddish tones in my dark hair, and transforms grey streaks into copper highlights. It is also a natural conditioner and much better for both my hair and the environment than chemical dyes.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i never let anyone cut my hair mainly bc they hack it all up and cut it way too short...my hair naturally kinky curly...so its pretty easy to mess up..i do occasionally let someone color it lately however i have been doing it myself..i always cut it tho..i just trim off the dead ends
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I color my own, but I'm a "redhead" so it's not too difficult. I use Garnier Fructis. If you're doing anything drastic (black to blond, for instance) you should go to a pro.
    As far as cutting my hair, when I was younger I did a few times. Now? I'd never take a pair of scissors to my own hair.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I trim my hair (just the bangs)...I wouldn't though if we had any decent hair salons in this town.LOL.
    I color my own hair because the only color job I ever had at a salon burned my scalp and I lost alot of hair because of it. It does save money also. I even mix colors these days to get the exact shade I want with right highlights in it. As long as it's the same brand to mix.
    I use Feria color and love it!
    I would try a salon color again if I wasn't so afraid that would happen again though because I think they can do fantastic things with color these days. I get "daring" once in awhile for a new color. :)
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 1:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• use only L 'oreal products with less amonia they are safe and lees harsh on ur skin as well as scalp and shines better. colour first and then cut it. or layer it its cheaper but lot of work and patience . but totally worth it
    try n let me know
    Rasikasweet

Answer by Rasikasweet at 1:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Hi I am a stylist and I color my own hair, but would never cut it! You can really get in a big pickle if you don't know what your doing, and color undertones,, look for a school in your area, honeslty it will be about the same price as a box of home haircolor,, the good ones are expensive anyway, you will most likely be happier with the results.. Home haircolor has high ammonia in it, and unless you can be sure your not overlapping can really damage your hair.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I do not dye mine but I do cut it or shave it. I have a high and tight for swimming reasons.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I color my own hair and usually use Clairol. I use black so the brand doesn't matter. When I used to go red, I would use the best I could get because it had less peroxide in it. I don't cut my hair because I believe that women are supposed to have long hair.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I love Feria too! Nice shiny color and it lasts.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011