Anyone with GBS (group b strep) have a natural labor without an epidural?

I would really like to go without an epidural this time. I'm due in 5 weeks. I have GBS though so I will need to be hooked up to an IV, which means I will probably be bed ridden for most of the labor and won't be able to walk around or use the shower or anything. I'm worried that this is going to make it so much more difficult. I am going to have to go to the hospital as soon as I start laboring because I live an hour from the hospital and my first labor was only 4 hours long...and I know that the antibiotics take 4 hours to take into effect. Anyways, Just wondering what your experiences were. Thanks.

JacksMama613

Asked by JacksMama613 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was group B possitive with both my children and I had no drugs with either. My Sons labor was 14 hours so I had plenty of time for the dosage of meds but my Daughters was only an hour and a half. I got the first half of the first dose and she is fine and just turned 6. Try not to stress about it too much. Hope this helped
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 11:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• When I first got there I was hooked up to monitors and the IV went in with the antibiotics. After an hour of monitoring I was allowed to walk with the IV pole which was on wheels. I did get the epidural but closer to delivery but up until I got the epi I could move around. Even with the Iv you should be able to walk. I guess it would depend on hospital policy.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Oh that's good to hear! I hope they let me walk around. Happy - I'm glad your daughter was fine. That helps ease my mind a little. Thanks for the replies, mamas.
    JacksMama613

Answer by JacksMama613 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I had GBS with both my pregnancies. With my second I progressed so quickly that I didn't get an epidural or the full round of antibiotics. My labor was only 1 hour and 40 mins! Thank goodness he was ok. I would reccomend giving yourself extra time to get to the hospital. With my first pregnancy I could get up and walk around, but then again I had an epidural and it was much less intense than my second labor! Good luck to you!
    myfamilymylife2

Answer by myfamilymylife2 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I had GBS. My doctor admitted me the night before to start my antibiotics. she was going to induce me the next morning but I went into labor on my own! I had an epi that didn't work. I was also allowed to get up and move around! GL! I'm sure you and baby will both be just fine!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 12:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I wasn't GBS, but I think my sister was with her second and my step uncles wife was with her 2nd and 3rd. They both had all natural labors and my sister had the baby too fast and never got hookup to an IV. Her baby is 2 and fine.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:31 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I also had GBS and I didn't have an epidural and birthed vaginally. You only have to stay in bed as long as the antibiotics are going into your blood via an IV. It didn't take that long, like 1/2-1 hr then you are free. Also, they do another round sometime later but it is the same amount of time. You sure can get up and do all the other things other women in labor can do. Good luck!
    Anonymous