Sign language for babies?

my son is 9 months old and we are starting him in day care next week, and the directo mentioned how they teach the babies sign language amongst many other things! My question is do u think teaching a baby that does not yet talk, to sign, cause the baby to start talking later than the "norm" because it's easier for the to use the hand gestures?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 1:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, I did sign language with all 5 of my kids. My oldest had autism so he talked late but for most kids it has been shown to speed up speech, because they to communicate earlier. Always use words with the signs, so he learns both.

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I didn't teach sign language, but we did teach our kids the alphabet when they were just a few months old. Before they could talk, they could point to random letters on the alphabet chart, and then could read sentences by the time they could talk. They learned to talk at a normal age, and have always loved to read, and are now excellent writers.

Little brains are like sponges -- they will take in as much as you give them. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No! Not at all! Children/babies get the gross motor skills for sign language at around 8 months, but don't talk until they're around 2. Sign Language is the PERFECT mode of communication for that interim.

Before my daughter was born I was in classes to become an ASL (American Sign Language) interpreter. Signing is SO beneficial. IF I go on too much longer someone is going to have to kick me off my soapbox.

You might want to check out the new ABC Family show Switched at Birth. One girl is deaf and the show is doing a WONDERFUL job about showing some major problems between hearing and Deaf. Oops, there I go again.

Sign Language is a GOOD thing, in my book.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Sign language is a good thing to know and something worth teaching your child
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think is an amazing idea.... great way to communicate while they learn how to talk....wish i could'vedone that with mine...
    DDavidson

Answer by DDavidson at 12:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• DD learned some sign language at daycare and it has proven to be VERY useful.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2011