Need help with speech development

My daughter is a tween now but I am concerned about my nephew. My daughter could hold down quite a good conversation by 2 yrs old. I understand that boys and girls develop differently but my nephew is now 28 months old and only says about 6 or 7 words and mimics a few animal sounds. I am starting to worry that maybe there is something wrong. Does anyone have any idea is this is still normal or should we be concerned. His vocabulary includes mama, daddy, no, mine, pee and sunbob(spongebob). Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No one can tell if there is a problem or not is a pediatrician( sp?). I will say that my son who is only 13m is very good at just not doing things I know he can do. You might be supprised and when your nephew turns three he might start talking up a storm.

I guess what I am saying is that only a doc can tell for sure if there is a prob but I wouldn't worry about it till he goes to pre school.
    annybutcher

Answer by annybutcher at 12:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i agree that only a doctor can tell for sure, but theres always observations you can make to set your mind at ease. for instance theres a possibility he can have fluid in his ears causing him to have hearing problems. pay attention when you talk to him. does he respond when hes not facing you? or does he only answer u if hes looking at you. this is actually a very common problem, and its easily solved. so just observe him and if you have any concerns the pediatrician is always best
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my son is delayed he is four and saying a few words. you might want to try the opposite of how he learns. i had to do that with my son. ex make it fun we just taught my son to say uh oh spaghetie ohs (which i just happened to say not teaching) but he put his hands on my throat to feel the vibrations and he was listening to how i was saying it. he slowly started to say it back to me. make words high pitch sound to long sayings like ooooooohhhhhhhh noooooooooooo like that to make him laugh. he will catch on and think it is funny and hopefully repeat it. if i were you i would talk to the dr to see if he is delayed or anything. they put my son in a special preschool so he could learn to talk and be potty trained. he is doing really good. have other children around him it will help out. I hope this helps
    alangel17

Answer by alangel17 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• sometimes you might think that they have a hearing problem when they really dont. if he doesnt make eye contact or doesnt know his name see a dr my son doesnt we had his ears tested and he is purfect, just a little delayed. you can have his eyes and ears checked to see if there is a problem. get an evaluation from the dr and then get a referal to a preschool near you that helps out with speech and stuff like that they sometimes do the test for you. but they are a big help.
    alangel17

Answer by alangel17 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2008