In your experience, what is the best way to potty train a puppy?

We'll be picking up our new little furry family member on June 25! I am so excited, I can't wait to get him. I haven't had a dog since I was a kid! Reason mostly being that I had loved my childhood dog soooo much, I just had no interest in another dog..until now! :) (its only been 18 years! LOL) Anyway...so I'm wondering what is the best way to potty train the little guy? Is there a book anyone would recommend on reading to help? Any good tips? Thankyou so much for your time!!! :)

puppy

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pets

• take him out every couple of hours and a few minutes after he drinks. always tell him "go potty" when outside and when he does, reward him with a tiny treat and be cheerful. When he pottys inside say "NO" firmly then take him outside. Sounds like alot of work but has always worked for me and is definately worth it
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I did kennel for my dachsaund and it worked perfectly
    austinpierce

Answer by austinpierce at 1:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• IMO, crate raining is best, along with scheduled feedings and a lot of opportunities outside and of course, lot's of praise when he does right. My puppy is 5 months old and is now reliably house trained. We got him at about 12 weeks and started the crate training immediately. At about 3 months he stopped having accidents in the house. Puppies don't really have a lot of bladder control until 3 to 4 months of age so be patient and consistent. The scheduled feedings will help a lot. You will quickly learn how long after eating/drinking he will need to relieve himself. Good luck and congrats!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I agree with the second mom. Remember there will be an adjustment period for the pup to get used to the new surroundings.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We hung a bell on the back door. So everytime we opened the door she heard the bell. It got the point she would come running to go outside. She also would nose the bell if she needed to go out. I was a long bell that hung off the knob. She finally slapped it so many times in fell apart. But it was a great training tool. Ours was 9 weeks when we got her and she was trained in less than a month.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2011