Ive been holding out on getting my son the MMR shot (hes 20 months) due to all the negative feedback, but this Sat. I have a playdate with my friend & she has 2 schoool aged children & now im thinking to go get the shot in case something is spread (worst case senario)but just to be safe...what do u think?

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 1:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Just for Fun

• What is the feedback that you are going off of when you decided not to vaccinate him? I know that somewhere out there someone said that this vaccine can cause autism, that is simply not true. There is plenty of evidence to back this up at well. I am a medical technician in the AF and used to work in immunizations and I can tell you that not getting your child vaccinated is much worse for them than getting him vaccinated. The most noted side effects of the MMR vaccine are a sore arm and a low-grade fever ( the same as with most vaccines). In some cases more serious complications arose but those are mostly due to the fact that the child had an allergic reaction to some ingredient in the vaccine that the parent didn't know the child was allergic to. So again I say it is better to get your child vaccinated than to not get him vaccinated. It is better for him, better for you, and better for the children he plays with.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• noone can answer that question question but yourself sweetie. its a hard choice but what you just asked you probably already know the answer and just not ready to do it. I say if you are going to wonder everytime he goes to play with school aged children that he might get something. imo its best to vaccinate. but that is up to you. noone can make you do anything. my dd has all her vaccinations but i have delayed some for when she had a cold and for other reasons. you have to make the best choice for your child. good luckmama.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I delay vax. If they haven't had any recently, I'd go and get it.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 1:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Nothing is going to be spread if he doesn't have it. Understand though that MMR is 3 different diseases administered at the same time that your son will be fighting off, so during this period his immune system will be compromised since he is fighting those illnesses off and can pick up something else. Those shots do not prevent children from getting things, only makes the case less severe if they get it. My grandson ended up with the measles (we do not vaccinate), he got it from a child who was vaccinated, who got it from other children who were vaccinated on the base. I wouldn't do it that soon to playing with the other kids.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• There is no evidence that the MMR causes any problems. Its all rumor based on a false study that happened years ago.
    Anonymous

• If you get your son the shot know his body will be in a compromised state so if the kids have a basic cold or something else he will be even more vulnerable to it. If you are worried might want to cancel the playdate. Your child leaves the house to go to the store and other places with you and you don't worry about the vaccinations he will be find playing with your friends children.
    Anonymous

• Are you going to give your child the shots eventually? I will maybe when hes past 2..
    sissaymay

Comment by sissaymay (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• This is such a hot button issue. It really depends on who you ask.

My neighbor is 100% CERTAIN that immunizations cause autism just because her second child is autistic. She flat refuses to immunize her younger two kids for that reason.

I choose to vaccinate my children on the "normal" schedule because *I* believe that there is nothing wrong with the shots. I was given all my immunizations as a child and was very healthy. I was even placed, several times, in rooms with contagious chicken pox and never got it. Back then they thought that was a good idea.

The only person that can make this decision is YOU. I think it's a good idea, others think it's a horrible idea.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• "There is no evidence that the MMR causes any problems. Its all rumor based on a false study that happened years ago. "

Please then, anon, explain how my son contracted Rubella (german measles) from the vaccine?

People choose not to vax for reasons OTHER than propaganda.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Get your child vaccinated if this is bothering you.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011