How can I get my daughter to sleep without swaddling and without hurting herself?

We still swaddle Sophia who is 8 months old because it is the only way she will sleep, the problem is that she absolutely hates it. She fights us every time but she won't even nap if we don't swaddle her. I have tried not swaddling her but because she is older she is able to sit up in her crib and even pull herself to standing, which is what she did when I tried to put her down without swaddling. I am at a loss right now, it seems I am damned if I do and damned if I don't....If anyone has an suggestions for how to fix the problem that my husband and I are in we would really appreciate it.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 1:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put her in her crib and let her cry it out. Its the only way she'll learn to self sooth. A 8 month old who can sit and pull standing is normal. She'll be ok. You just have to leave her alone when you put her in her crib. And if you do check on her make sure she cant see you or chances are you'll have to start all over again
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I didn't have to worry about swaddling my son once we moved him to the crib, but he did have issues once he learned to sit upright and pull himself up. He'd do it while half asleep and get VERY upset because he wanted to sleep and wasn't sure how to lay back down after doing it. After about a week of going in and helping him lay back down and relax I finally had to let him CIO. I figured I had shown him enough times how to do it and he eventually had to learn to do it on his own. It took a couple times, but it worked. :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 1:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We had to go right from swaddling to CIO. Without the swaddle DD would wake herself up as soon as we put her in the crib and we obviously couldn't swaddle her forever...Given her temperament we used the extinction method: bedtime routine with cuddle and reading, put her down drowsy, didn't go back to check until she was asleep (but kept baby monitor on the whole time.) In 2 nights she figured out how to sleep and not get "stuck" standing up.
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Put her in the crib and play some soft music,it will put her right to sleep.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• it sounds bad but we just held her down! but we stopped swaddleing at 4 months old! it only took about 5min for her to fall asleep! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011