Pumping adult content

When I pump, I only get 1/2 an ounce out of my right breast and 3 1/2 ounces out of my left breast. And after about 4 or 5 mins of pumping, nothing else comes out. Is it normal to have more milk in 1 breast? will I eventually have more milk, the more I pump?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 1:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was never able to get 3 1/2 ounces out of one breast, no matter how much I pumped! That was more like the total amount I ever got.

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I get extreme uneven amounts out of each breast. I can get like one oz out of one and up to 5 out of the other. I dont know if its normal or not, but i dont worry about it. My daughter is always content after eating from both w the same amount of time on each.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Try a new flange size. That may help. However, it's very normal for one breast to produce more than another one. If you keep pumping them both, they may even out a bit more.
    CPCrane

Answer by CPCrane at 2:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think it's normal. My midwife told me that some people just don't respond well to a pump.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• What pump are you using?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I had the same thing happen to me. The amount actually switched...one side got alot and the other barely anything and then it switched. I have no idea why. Then my supply just completely dropped off. :( Just keep pumping it no matter how little you get out and drink your water! GL
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i would switch horn sizes but its ok for them not to b the same amount! also pump for 5min after the milk stops so ur body knows to make more!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I am generally within 1/2 oz to 1 oz different on each side... Typically I'll get 4 on my right side and 3.5 on my left after 15 minutes of pumping.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It's like being right or left handed. Completely normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Caroline2010-She brings up a good point. I pumped each breast twice. I pumoed the rightm then the left, and then did it again. I would get a little more out too.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011