My daughter hits herself. Anyone else ever come across this problem??

My 2 year old daughter hits herself probably on a daily basis. Whenever she messes up. When I tell her she can't do something. When she gets mad and lashes out. Has anyone else come across this problem? I'm wondering if it's because she doesn't take well to failure. Has anyone else come across this in their own child? If so.. how did you start the process to end it? It hurts me to see her putting some possible damage on her head (The place she mostly hits herself.) I don't know how to change this behavior. I've tried ignoring it. I've tried stopping her. Nothing seems to be working. If anyone has any suggestions, please help!

TwinKleOut

Asked by TwinKleOut at 12:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she goes to hit herself try to stop her. take her and kneel in front of her so you are eye to eye and tell her why she shouldn't hit herself and explain to her that it is ok to fail at things in life as long as you get back up and try again, and learn from your mistakes.
    annybutcher

Answer by annybutcher at 12:19 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• try to aproach discapline in a different way so she doesnt get to upset and see if it helps out. my son use to do this to. i never yelled i always was in his face and then i turned the attention on to something better to get there mind off of what he did that was bad. of course he had no idea what i was saying but it worked. now we are just in the regular tantrums he has stoped hitting himself. i also grabed (not hard very nicely) his arms when he went to hit himself and talked to him at first he hated it and had a problem with it but then he understood and was better. try that see if it helps or talked to the pediatrician or your mother about this to see what they say.
    alangel17

Answer by alangel17 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my daughter does this too!:( and i really got upset about it and ya kno she really doesnt do it anymore,..i just hugg her more often and whe never she gets upset i just take her and hold her before she gets to that point.
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• DD does the same thing....except she bangs her head!!! I figure I'd ignore it and she'll do it hard enough for it to hurt but not to damage anything...
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my daughter does that too, but I hug and kiss her and tell her everything is ok. Sometimes she just cant get whatever she wants, and then give her something else to do. She used to slap her own face over and over again, drove me nuts, but as a parent I knew I had to get her mind off her issue :)
    StaceeLee

Answer by StaceeLee at 10:20 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My son used to hit himself in the head. I would tell him to not hit himself. Then, I would hug and kiss him and ask him what was wrong. He only did it for a few months. Scared my hubby and I.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2008