10 mo CONSTANTLY screaming/squealing

Something tells me its just recreational and bc he's learned he's capable of screaming, but its so difficult to deal with.

I have medical problems with headaches & migraines and my DSs constant screaming is pretty tough for me to deal with. He's not doing it bc anything is wrong, or even just when he wants something. It seems to be pretty random, yet constant.

He does it while he plays, and while he's eating. During diaper changes, and when changing his clothes. In the bath, while clipping nails, and cleaning his ears. During anything and everything... Does anyone have any tips or suggestions both on how I can deal with this and how I can maybe encourage him to lower it down?

Again, he is 10 mo, he says mom and dad, I've been trying to work with him to learn baby signing to maybe give him another way to communicate, but he hasn't learned the signs yet. I've also tried to shush, and whisper to him to get him interested in lowering his tone but I'm not surprised that this hasn't worked lol.

Please help bc with my migraines I get so sick I end up having to put him in his room to play by himself bc I can't take the pain. I hate having to do that, I really love my days off work bc I want to spend every second I can with him. But then I end up in tears both bc of the pain and the fact I feel I've "banished" him to his room.

kpincince

Asked by kpincince at 1:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have migraine medication?If not, I would make an appt and talk to dr about it. You can take the med before a migraine comes on...some people even get shots for it.
    Theres really no way you can make a happy squealing baby not squeal,sorry :(
    I know that has to be really tough tho.I have my daughter and I babysit another 2 yr old girl and then I have my 8 month old baby and the three of them get going sometimes,LOL..they are sooooooooooooo super loud.Sometimes it gives me a headache,on those days I'm just glad when naptime rolls around! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It's a faze, it will pass.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My son is the same age and does the exact same thing. He recently started going to a new in-home daycare and one day they were like today he learned the phrase "inside voices" lol. Just every time he started yelling they would say that quietly to him. Regardless, it is a phase and will pass. I'm sorry it is having a negative effect on you though. You'll just have to get through it; maybe ask the doc for more powerful meds? GL
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I've had this issue with headaches since I was young and I've built a tolerance to all the drugs the Drs given me. The only other meds I can get that will work make me really loopy and tired, so I'm really uncomfortable taking them when I'm the only one available to give him the care that he needs. I've talked to my Dr about other options but he said we've tried everything else and this is it. I get chronic tension headaches, and frequent migraines that leave me almost incapable of functioning normally. I get yearly ct scans and mris to regulate my high possibility of having a brain mannerisms bc they have a really bad history in my immediate family going back several generations. If it wasnt for this I may not even have any issues with his screaming. It just has me in so much pain. Luckily though its me going through the pain and not him. I hope this passes soon.
    kpincince

Comment by kpincince (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Aneurism*

Sorry, I'm mobile & my spell check gets funky sometimes.
    kpincince

Comment by kpincince (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• He will grow out of it. My daughter did it on and off for a couple months. Now she only does it when she's hurt. She will be 1 on the 28th
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• If he's been doing it for awhile, I would get it checked out by a doctor. My cousin's son screeched all the time and was speech delayed, but was otherwise happy and healthy. When they asked about it at a doctor's visit, the doctor did some further examination and found he had fluid in his ears and heard everything underwater. Presumably, he screeched to hear himself. He had tubes put in and had a little trouble with pronunciation after that, but turned out just fine.
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I was on Prozac for the longest time for my migraines and it helped so much. Has your doctor tried you on an SSRI? Have you thought about getting ear plugs or headphones that will block out some of the volume? The tone of a baby's cry - either happy or sad - have made my migraines worse too.

At this stage, kids will often do something more if they get a reaction.  You can try to shorten the stage by not reacting.  I hate to tell you this, but my 7-year-old twins both still shriek like this from time-to-time.  At age 3, they can start working on their quiet inside voice.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2011