Preschool/daycare all day, every day?

I am very sensitive to the dilemma of working families, especially in this tough economy. I can't help feeling very sad for the children that are in preschool/daycare all day, everyday. I am talking about babies and toddlers. Some people have no choice, but some do. I wish those parents (mom or dad) would figure out a way to stay home or have their babies in daycare less. What are your thoughts?

ochsamom

Asked by ochsamom at 1:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was a full time working parent and I always kept my kids home with me on my day off. It baffled me the co-workers that would still send their children to daycare so they could get things done or because it was the childs 'routine' and they didn't want to mess with it... I understand the need. Been there done that but I do not understand sending then when they could be home with you...
    Anonymous

• All three of my girls (6 yrs, 4 yrs & 6 mos) are in daycare from 8-3 Monday through Friday so I can work. They love it there & I think they have learned many things by being there.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think with the right child care option there is nothing to feel sorry about really. If it is a good place the kids like to go and feel safe and loved there as much as at home. While nothing can replace mom and dad having them in a home/center they enjoy is a great answer for the parents who do have to work. I know when I was working my DD LOVED her sitter. STILL ask to go play there even though I no longer work...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I feel the same way, but I also think there are instances where the child is better off in daycare than in their parents care.

Answer by missanc at 1:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My son is in daycare 2 days a week for no more than 7 hrs a day. The rest of the days he is with me!!!!!! I think it's a good balance, we both get to be with each other 90% of the time which i love, yet I get to get away and have adult conversation and make money and he gets child interaction! Everyone gets a piece of the pie!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 2:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My kids are in a fantastic daycare. They have a lesson, circle time, sing songs, make projects, cook, play outside, have great friends. They love it, and I love my daycare provider. My thoughts are that you are a tad ignorant.
    Anonymous

• I am on the fence about this.. I think we could technically be in a situation to afford me to stay home if we got a new house /smaller/cheaper and cut out many things and would love to do that but my husband is so far from on board and thinks the money we make and the opportunities we could give him with my added income will beneift him more and most in the long run. Since being in Daycare he has completely changed for the better in the socially, focus ,. sharing, attitiude, self coping skills and the list could go on..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I was sensitive and understanding and never once put anyone down. To call me ignorant shows me that you did not read the post as all. You only felt the need to attack ...what are you lacking?
    ochsamom

Comment by ochsamom (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• For me, it's not ideal to have my DD in daycare 5 days a week, although now that she is older I worry about it less than I did when she was still a baby, and I had the luxury of keeping her home and bringing her to my office for the first seven months. That being said, it is also not ideal for me to be a stay at home mom full time- it's sometimes hard to admit but I am not cut out for that either. I try to find a healthy balance, and I feel confident that my DD is in a place where she is loved and nurtured, and she has gotten many benefits from daycare that I could not give her if she was home with me full time. Not to mention that I have to work. Bringing her to my office was fine when she was a newborn but doing it now would be a disaster, for me and for her as she would be bored. I think taking your child to daycare is much easier if you know they are being well cared for and loved and cuddled and all those things.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'm fine with you choosing to stay home, but I'm also happy that I can work and send my kids to daycare.  My children are doing great and you don't need to feel sad for them.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011