23andME?

I was wondering if any of you ladies have any personal experience with the genetic testing called 23andMe? I recently bought it for my son and was hoping to hear from someone who had some personal experience with it. I bought it hoping to be able to give him some answers about his biological family that we are not in contact with. It was pretty pricey so I hope I hear good things:) Thanks!

Luuckymommy

Asked by Luuckymommy at 1:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Adoption

• bump! don't know much about it but i like how you can get new monthly dna discoveries
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Bump! Hope you get some help!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I've never heard of it,sounds interesting tho.Heres a bump to help get your question answered!:)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Thanks for the bump ladies:)
    Luuckymommy

Comment by Luuckymommy (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have heard of it and suggested it to adoptees and aparents. But, I don't know anyone who's ever used it. It sounds like a wonderful resource for people who can't know their genetic background. Please come back and tell us what you think when you get the results. Very exciting!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Thanks onethentwins, I will update for sure. Is it weird that I'm too scared to do the test on him? I wouldn't have thought about it but we have no info on his biological father and don't know where his biological mother is. I am trying to fill in all the holes in history that I can before he needs to ask I guess.

Luuckymommy

Comment by Luuckymommy (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Why are you scared to do the test on him?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'm not really sure why, but the thought of checking for genetic problems he may be prone too is just scary to me. I know that we/he need to know and I actually feel guilty that I didn't find it sooner but he is only three so I guess I'm doing ok. The package arrived late last week and I will tell him he can spit to his heart's content tonight:)

Luuckymommy

Comment by Luuckymommy (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have always thought that I would do this for my child when they are older more for the ancestry part, not really thinking of the disease part. You may have inspired me.

What is amazing is that they have technology like this now in 2011... can you imagine what they are going to have for genetics in 10 or 20 years?

Curious: When you get the information, are you going to try to share with the bparents? (assuming you have contact again)
    SandalsKitty

Answer by SandalsKitty at 6:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Did you do the test, I am so interested
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 12:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2011