Paganism question.

Okay i never knew how complex and confused i would be looking into it. I see there's alot to it many different regions and beliefs. So do you just study everything and choose to practice what you feel is true or do you take it as a whole and follow everything.

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 2:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can't follow everything - it's contradictory. It's no different than someone deciding between Judaism, Christianity and Islam. You study them, and see if one of the 3 makes sense to you, and if it does, you look more deeply into it to see which denomination is right for you. Paganism is the same, only instead of 3 options there are dozens of general main faiths and thousands of divisions beneath that. Pick one and start looking into it. This should help: http://www.sacred-texts.com/  They have the basic texts of most faiths - just read down the index on the left.  Read the overviews to find what you want to read first.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Start with what you believe, and go from there...after that, this is my standard advice. Paganism (regardless of which tradition you end up in) isn't so much a destination as it is a journey (corny as it sounds).  In terms of reading, I usually recommend that people that are interested in learning about Paganism in general start with Paganism: An Intro to Earth-centered ReligionsDrawing Down the Moon and A World Full of Gods: an Inquiry into Polytheism

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You cant use it all....but I know both my husband and I and some of our friends just kinda pick and choose what we feel is right.
    Anonymous

• Read all you can...and research further what you like best!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I can only speak for myself, but I have to disagree with the idea that you can't follow everything. I am an Eclectic and I tend to find truth in each new path I discover, study and learn... To me, each form of religion - Pagan or not- is like a branch on a tree, and my beliefs are the trunk. I believe that a Great God & Goddess (Time & Nature) "rule" over all, while the individual Gods & Goddesses which make up each religious belief system deal with the day to day. It's these "lesser" Gods who inspired religion, not the Great God & Goddess. I do not follow any one set of these lesser Gods, simply because I do not see any more merit in one than another. My connection is to the Great G&G, and that is whom I wish to follow. I feel I can do this best by following my heart. So when I find something which speaks to my heart, I don't not follow simply because it's on a path which is new to me, instead I embrace it and take it in...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• In this way I do follow all different paths, because I forge my own path... My advice is simply...

Never stop learning, you will NEVER master it all! And Never close your mind or heart to new ideas. Truth comes in many forms, and sometimes it takes our entire lives to seek it out. But if you keep looking, and always follow your heart, it will lead you where you need to go.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Paganism is a HUGE deity pool ! You decide which aspect of it you embrace.

But, I like simple faith,---and this quote : ALL THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THINGS THERE BE COME SIMPLY, SO IT SEEMS TO ME... IF EVER I SAID IN GRIEF OR PRIDE THAT I TIRED OF HONEST THINGS,---I LIED...
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 10:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2011