breaking co-sleeping

My son just turned 3 months 2 days ago and I want him to start getting used to sleeping in his own bed. It's starting to be a pain when I go to work on weekends, to mall with him in stroller, or when I'm trying to clean the house. He wants mama to sleep with him and will fuss until I do so. I love co-sleeping but at night not during the day when I have things to do. Any suggestions?

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 12:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wonder if this is related to you question about breastfeeding..

Eitherway.. Nights are probably going to be long until he understands that he's not sleeping with you anymore.

Patting his back, using a pacifier, giving him a bottle, mobile that moves and has calm sounds.. use a combination of things, use what calms him to your advantage in getting him to sleep.

You definitally should see your pediatrician though, because both of your questions are important.
    They have to do with eating and sleeping habits which are imparative to your childs growth.
    MommyHimes86

Answer by MommyHimes86 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• There's a great article on drjaygordon.com on making the transition from the family bed, although he doesn't recommend doing it this early.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• We co-slept until just a few weeks ago and my boy is now 8 months. That's at night though! He does not like to be put down for a nap so i literally carry him around until he is out! Sometimes he doesn't want to lie down even when I'm with him. I have to keep him distracted so he doesn't think he's going down for a nap! I'll run errands in the car and he falls asleep (I know every drive through bank and coffeehouse in this town!) Also, I try to avoid TV, but if I'm busy and I know he's almost out for his nap. I will kive him some PBS kids time until lights out! I work form home and will read emails or whatever while holding him and he always fall asleep on my lap! Wherever it is, as long as it's close or on Mom it's okay!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 12:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• While shopping, we still don't have a stroller, we have on eof those carry alongs like baby bjorn (but mine is a Jeep brand which is about $30) less than half the price of baby bjorn, but he loves it and easily falls asleep in it, even in the supermarket! I guess thats what they call attachment parenting?
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 12:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• By the way, as soom as he falls asleep I lay him in his crib and pull the blankets up to his chin-he loves snuggling with blankets, and then on with my day (for a half hour, maybe 1 hour if am luckY)
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 12:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2008