Is it bad that neither side of the family wants to kee p my 2 kids at the same time?

I mena it is good for the kids... they get time apart but is it a problem that everyone thinks they are 'too hard' to keep at once. I mean I di it every day! How do you think I feel. The bickering and non-stop playing (not in a bad way just they are both VERY active) is to much for my parents and DH parents.... Is that a problem with my kids or is that pretty normal for some grand parents. They are almost 4 and 7.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have 3 kids.. (6yrs, 4yrs & 6 mos) Both sets of grandparents will keep all three. I would be embarrassed if no one wanted my kids.. apparently they are pretty bad.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have 2 kids. My sister has 2 kids. I would not watch the both of them if my life depended on it.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't know what is "normal" since my kids only have my dad, all other grandparents passed away, and my dad can't handle kids by himself at all....but assuming both sets of grandparents are older, I don't think its that big a deal. As long as they take them equally and don't favor one over the other. Yes, you do it every day, I do too, but they don't...and maybe they just enjoy the one on one time better, which is their perogative... just be happy they are in your kid's lives and are willing to take them, even if just one at a time. I would give anything for my kids to have grandparents like that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My mom is that way. She has kept my kids maybe 2 times all together. She mainly takes my older one because he is the easy one. My mil takes them all. This past Sunday was the first time she took one and I could tell that she felt so guilty. My ds asked to go home with her after church and she doesn't have the heart to say no. He then convinced her to let him spend the night, I don't think it took much convincing :) My mom I think is kind of nervous to take them all. I have three kids, almost 2, 3 and 4 so it is kind of crazy. My mom had three kids but in 8 years. My mil on the other hand had 6 in ten years so maybe that is the difference.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• They aren't bad they just have to be busy. DS is ADHD and can't sit still. even if he is sitting he is moving a foot or humming to himself. DD is still little but has the attention span of a gnat. Neither of them really watch tv. Which is n't a bad thing. They want to be playing outside, playing games, doing something. They bicker because they can't agree on what to do but both insist on playing together. They don't fight or scream...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• If they were younger I would say that might be normal, but I think by 4 and 7 they should be able to handle themselves as company at the grandparents without it being completely overwhelming. Obviously it also depends on how old, healthy, active the grandparents are. I know my FIL just isn't always the get on the floor to play with the kids type, and that's ok, but for that reason I wouldn't ask him to babysit my dd for long periods of time because it probably wouldn't work out for either of them. Some siblings just bicker a lot, too, so that may be part of the problem- not necessarily that they are poorly behaved kids, just that they don't do well with each other. Or if the grandparents are not as structured or strict as you may be at home, that could lead the kids to think they can get away with more there than they do at home. Are they well-behaved in school and at home for the most part? It may be more the grandparents.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Well.. some people just aren't "equipped" to care for children who need lots of attention. Good Luck with everything.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'm a grandma and I don't want to watch all of my grandkids at the same time. That is the beauty of being a grandma--I can pick and choose when & who I want to see.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My son is 3-1/2 and very active and constantly on the go and my mom makes negative comments about that all the time and it pisses me off..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I find it strange, I have 2 teens , but when they were little 4&6 like yours my parents always took them both. Even when I said I'll take one with me if you want , they said no why, we can keep both.. My in-laws also took both of them. I even asked my in-laws if they would rather watch one and the other I would take to my mom. and they both looked at me like I was nuts and said no, just keep them both hereSo I never had any problems with niether of the grandparents. they both enjoyed their grandkids .And my kids were crazy too, running jumping climbing. just going insane. But they let them do all that outside. when they were inside, they colored, did puzzles, they played kids boardgames , and did arts and crafts, and watched a dvd.with the kids.And my kids loved being with both sets of the grandparents too.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011