Does your birth story include an unplanned C-section? Please get in touch with me.

I'm looking to find other first-time mothers who have an unwanted/unplanned or emergency C-section, particiularly those who had their first baby after the age of 35.

If you'd be willing to share a few details with me, I'd appreciate it. I'm planning to write about this issue on my blog. Most of my friends in my age group (38 and up) wound up with c-sections they had not hoped to have.

HotPrimigravida

Asked by HotPrimigravida at 2:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• well i was 26 and mine was unplanned emergency..but im not sure that i actually had a choice
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my daughter was an emergency c-section, and my son was planned... i was 16/21 though...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I had an unplanned c-section, but I was only 22 and it was necessary. While I didn't plan on the c-section I was glad that it was available because if it wasn't then my son or I (or both of us) wouldn't be here at all. It doesn't matter how he came into this world, just that he is here alive and healthy.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I was 36 when I had my son. I had blood pressure issues and was induced at 38 1/2 weeks. It all ended with a c-section after 3-1/2 hours of pushing and the baby nowhere close to crowning.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My mother had an unplanned c section after 41 weeks, 36 hours of labor and only dilated 2 cm. She was 31 when she had me. I also had an unplanned c section at 41 weeks, 9 hours of labor and never dilated at all. They did the c section on me because my contractions were coming on so hard that it was making my son's heart rate drop and it became dangerous. I had him at 22.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Thanks for your answers, fabulous women! I'm looking for the stories of people who are 35+ and had an unplanned c-section. I write a blog named Primigravida, which is about starting motherhood in this age bracket and up. I am finding that many of us (most of my friends in fact) are winding up with unplanned c-sections. Naturally, these are often necessary, and therefore thank goodness the doctors have the option. BUT, there's another theory which suggests that too many doctors are turning to c-sections too quickly, particularly when the mother is "older." If you have a story which supports (or negates) this theory and want to share it, please do. You can send it to me at fertilemusings (at) gmail.com.
    For anyone who'd like to read the blog, it's www.ileneprusher.com/blog
    HotPrimigravida

Comment by HotPrimigravida (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I had an emergency c-section at 28 weeks gestation (she was 3 month early) but she was my second child (my first was a vaginal delivery). It was 2 weeks before my 36th birthday. I developed an infection and the placenta had torn away from the uterine wall; docs weren't sure if the infection caused the tear or if the infection was the result of the tear ... she was in distress as a result and the c-section was the only chance of saving her. Regardless of what, why, or how, I am still considered a medical mystery to this day as to why it happened at all. She is truly a miracle child; her chances were slim to none and she is a perfectly normal, happy (though sometimes bossy and too smart for her own good) beautiful girl!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I am 30, mother of one, and had an unplanned c-section at 29 weeks due to an intense onset of HELLP syndrome (google it). I had a perfect pregnancy and loved it. Very very little morning sickness (only at night so it didn't interfere with work at all). Stayed active, measured right on, everything seemed perfect. I was not against a c-section, but certainly did not think it would be the case, at least not without attempting a vaginal birth.
    My condition went from not so good to life threatening for my baby and me in a matter of days, the last few hours being dangerously close to the end. I was nearly unconscious and in terrible pain when they told me they had to do an emergency c-section to save us. The next few days were touch and go as my condition waned, but the c-section I had not planned for was no biggie. My advice is to accept help, get some big granny panties, and just love that little one with all your heart.
    momnotmom

Answer by momnotmom at 2:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'm 35. This is my first child. Had planned a natural delivery with a Midwife, but she took me to the hospital when my bloodpressure spiked during week 39. We delivered via emergency C-section due to onset of pre-eclampsia. BUT the OB let me "try" for a vaginal delivery for 30 hours after they induced. Dialation was stalled about 5 cm, so we had a beautiful healthy boy via unplanned c section...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I had an unplanned C-section, but it was necessary. I was in labor for 20 hours, and after pushing for several of those hours, I was told the suture lines on my son's skull were overlapping. It would have been impossible for me to give birth vaginally because he was too big. Afterward, I developed an infection while still in the hospital, which extended my stay. I was also told this was common in women who had pushed for long periods of time and then ended up having a C-section. About a month after my release from the hospital, I ended up in the ER with severe abdominal pain because I had developed a cyst deep within my abdominal wall. I had the cyst drained under CT and walked around with a drain for about a week. My son in now 2 years old, and my stomach is still numb from the C-section. I would love to have another baby, but then I think about the recovery afterward, and I know I couldn't go through that again.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011