I was outside last night and a car came by and hit...

a cat in the middle of the road. I cried my eyes out. Would you stop and at least move the cat, try to locate the owner, or just keep going?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 2:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pets

• ugh.. I would cry.. I did see a ran over cat still alive once and stopped, called the cops and waited until they showed up.. I hate that people leave their cats outside.. :( so sad.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• :( I saw that happen once. I had just pulled into my dads driveway and got out of the car when a cat darted past me and ran into the street.An oncoming car ran it right over...they hit their breaks but kept right on going. I went over to it, it was shaking and twisted all up.It was horrifiying to me.I cried myeyes out too :( My dad came out with a shovel and put it into a garbage bag. Poor Kitty.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Honestly I would leave...freaking out...most the time they are farrel cats not much you can do and I would be too creeped out to move it.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I had a woman knock on my door about a yr ago asking me if I had a black kitten. That there was one run over in front of my house and she herself almost hit it a second time. It wasn't ours, so we asked a few other neighbors but it must have been a stray. We have a LOT of strays, so my DH put it in a trash bag and put it in the garbage. We don't live in an area where we could bury it. It was pretty sad. I would def stop and try to find an owner, or take it to a vet to see if it is microshipped.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i would of stopped and helped the animal even if it were dead to the side of the road..accidents happen i have also found a ran over cat in the middle of the road with only her back and hind legs broke i got her to the vet and she is alive today..at the time when i found her she couldnt get herself off the road she was just laying there bless her heart needing help
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• ive seen it happen with a puppy once we called the police and couldnt find the owner it was really sad. but if i was in ur situation i wouldve moved it to the side of the road and seen if it had any id tags to notify the owner. i know its sad but its kinda what happens in this world unfortunately. thats why my dog has a chip in her
    tif0530

Answer by tif0530 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• This has happened to me numerous times, I have stopped and offered my aid if any to the animal, taken it to a vet, or if it was to late for help, I would put it on the side of the road, hoping the owner would see him. It always breaks my heart.....

Answer by older at 3:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• If I hit a cat or dog I would stop and get it to the vet if they had not died. If they have identification I would let the owner know.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I hot a cat once, it was awful. It was chasing another cat and I tried to stop but it was too late. I felt terrible, I moved the cat out of the road and placed it on a towel I had in my truck. I knocked on doors and only got one answer. They had never seen the cat before but there were a lot of strays in the area. I cried for the rest of the day over that poor cat :(
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 3:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• A car driving in front of us the other night hit a dog. It was still alive, but obviously not going to make it. Hubby and I stopped, moved the dog out of the road and waited with him until he passed. It was late and there wouldn't any houses in the immediate area so we did not try to find the owner.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2011