What's everyone's take on 'making' a toddler wear a specific clothing item?

So my 2 year old has started being very picky about what she wears. If it's not pink or doesn't have a Dora or Disney princess on it, she refuses to wear it. We've already gotten in several fights over what to wear. We're going somewhere cold next week and she already refuses to wear a jacket or sweater (won't even try it on). I broke down and bought her a Disney princess hoodie for $10.

What does everyone else do in this situation? My DH thinks we should 'force her' to wear what we want but I just don't think it's a battle worth fighting. She is well behaved in every other area.

danielp

Asked by danielp at 2:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think shes a small child and should wear whatever you pick out for her to wear..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Lay out two shirts and say "be a big girl and pick one..whichever one you want".. It makes them feel important to still be able to pick their clothes out..even though they are limited.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• She's definitely too young to be given this much power. Pick out her clothes and tell her this is what she is wearing.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I give my daughter choices of what she can wear.(she's 2 yrs 4 months).I will set out 2-3 outfits and let her choose. I think its good to let them decide.
    There have been several times tho when she hasn't had enough sleep and shes really grouchy when she will refuse to put something like her coat on to go outside when it was really cold..in those situations..yeah, I make her put it on..kicking,screaming and all.She gets over it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• She cries and shrieks to get out of whatever it is she doesn't want to wear. She tries to rip it off. Twice sh ecried so hard her nose bled.
    danielp

Comment by danielp (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think caving to your kiddo sometimes can be a lil fun. That said, no 2 year old should willfully dictate to Mommy. If you are letting her wear something because it is her preference that is sweet and a good learning moment. If she is thowing a fit the closet should close and the conversation should end.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Hmm, right now when she is two it is not a big deal, but when she is 13 it will be a battle worth fighting. My daughter is almost 2. She does not like frilly things it seems. She has a skirt she wears to church that is kind of tutu-ish. Whenever I try to put it on her, she throws a fit. She did the same with her Easter dress. Once it is on, she forgets about it and is fine. It would have been a lot easier to pick something else out and not deal with the fit but there is no reason why she can't wear it.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Oh Mom you cannot cave to that anger. You will end up with a lil monster.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My daughter used to do this as well, used reverse psychology on her for awhile till she caught on. Then I would do the whole pick 2 outfits & give her the choice. As far as going to a cold place - take the coat & when she is cold enough she will put it on.
    maryb744

Answer by maryb744 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I agree with previous moms, try giving her choices, kids like choices. that works sometimes.
    for me, if my twins did that, I would probably force them every so often to wear something because I do enjoy dressing them up really cute in outfits that I like, but PERSONALLY it wouldn't be worth the battle everyday, my boys are ......... strong willed ;) .... thats a good word

i think most days it wouldn't be a big deal to let her pick what she wants to wear - it could teach her self expression. but she should know that sometimes she has to wear certain things such as dressing up for a special event or, of course, wearing a jacket when it is cold.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 3:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011