My kids friend is dying

My DD is 12 and she has an old lady for a friend she loves her she is about 66 years old or so and she has been fighting cancer for years and years, and now she is losing and I am not sure what to tell my kid, she had a hard time when her grandma died, and she has been having health problems herself lately. We are having a tough year!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is hard for young children to accept death. I'm sorry she has to deal with this so young.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• awe bless her heart its hard for adults i can only imagine a child..let her spend as much time with her as possible and sit down and try to explain the best you can...my heart goes out to all 3 of you
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• :( I am so sorry.

The best thing that you can do is to be honest when questions arise, and make sure that your daughter is able to spend as much time as she can and wants with her friend while she is still with us. The memories are what will comfort her in the long run.

If it happens that her friend passes, try to make sure she has the option to go to the services, and spend time talking to her about positive memories. Make sure she has some pictures. Maybe even have her put together a memory book that she can keep with her. She will certainly grieve, but when supported, the grieving process can be much shorter . . .

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would just be honest with her. I understand that it is hard although I am sure that she would rather have you be honest with her then have you giving her false hope that her friend is going to be okay.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• aww :(
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011