Scared to take baby out of the house

There are five measles cases just south of here,three up north and now a family at church has whooping cough. I know that people have their own reasons for not vaxing,I may not agree with it but I'm sure that there are things I do that you don't agree with as well but as parents we do what we feel is best for our children.

But I still have an asthmatic baby who is too young to be fully vaccinated against all this. I just feel like I've spent too many nights trying to keep him breathing to deal with this. I know I know its part of parenting but that doesn't make it any easier to even think of watching that.

How do I leave the house with him now without panicing every time somebody sneezes around him?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 3:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you've ever been vaccinated against pertussus (spelling?) AND your breast feeding, I would assume that your baby is also getting the benefit of you vaccination.

The hospital insisted on checking my vaccination record when I wouldn't let my baby get his Hep B shot at birth. Since I was vaccinated, they let him slide by since I was breastfeeding.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You don't. You will panic everytime you leave the house until there are no obvious signs of measles or whooping cough where you go. Good luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• invest in alot of hand sanitizer..try to keep ppl away from him as much as possible..if ppl want to mess with him say no and explain why..any mother would understand its your baby and your say as to what you will and wont allow...my baby was a preemie and when she came home everyone wanted to hold her and get in her face etc..i politely put my foot down and made everyone stay away and i wouldnt uncover her carseat at the stores i kept her covered at all times until we got back to the car!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• you just have to do it. You never know when something is going to happen and if you live you life with the fear that it will then you will miss out on so much. My DD was a normal happy, healthy child until August of 2010. She has a grand mal seizure and ended up in a coma for 11 days and in the hospital for 2 months. I was scared to death that entire time and even now I am afraid sometimes. Yet, I still have to let her do things that frighten me. She has been seizure free for 6 months and was finally give the okay to swim. Watching her swim is the hardest thing to do although I let her because I know it is her favorite thing, she was a competitive swimmer before she got sick. Through my experience I met a woman whose son was not suppose to live past 1 year old. He ended up living until he 14, they went on 2 cruises and many vacations. I guess what I am saying is that while it is ok to be afraid don't let it control U.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would say the first line of defense would be to educate yourself on the diseases and how they are spread. Talk to your pediatrician also. Keep a blanket handy when your out and keep him covered when you feel he is vulnerable. Secondly have a plan of action in the event that your child does contract a disease, know what signs to look for and have a plan in place for your next steps. Lastly, don't worry too much, do the best you can to keep him safe and enjoy this time as much as you can, he'll be grown before you know it!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 3:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'm not breastfeeding(physically it didn't work for either one of us) and I'm scheduleing an appointment because mine is outdated according to the pamphlet they gave me at the doctor's office.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011