Okay,, I am posting with my real name attached,, I don't need bashing, just need some help!

My Dh was convicted of DUI 3 months ago,,long story short,, he went with a friend for his birthday and was the designated driver,, he had exactly 3 beers, and had no idea they had no food where they were going, he was finished drinking and suggested they go out to eat,, had a taillight lamp out and was pulled over blew a .08. A lawyer though he could fight it , but hubby was in the wrong and took his punishment,,so far it has costs us over $5,000 and is almost done,, I love to have my wine, but have never driven even after 1,,, anyway he is going to these classes, and they say if you have more than 6 or 7 drinks per week, you might have a probelm,, he is a total fitness buff, and never drinks that much,,anyhoo,,I have about that much per week, now he is on the bandwagon of making our TOTAL lives alcohol free!!! Not being a pansy,, but at 44,, I think this is stupid,,,IDK help ladies,,,,

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 3:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• If your aren't getting completely smashed and are not drinking and then driving then I really dont see a problem. I mean, a glass of wine or a couple of beers isn't bad. now when it gets to the point, like my dad, when the Dr. perscribes you a beer after a heart attack just to keep you from going through withdrawls, thats a problem. One or two, not gonna hurt you! Just explain to your hubby, you are not trying to discredit his opinion,but having a drink or two a day does not mean you have a problem and need to eliminate it from your life.
    callmeBatmom

Answer by callmeBatmom at 3:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You got a smart man on your hands, alcohol free is the way to go......

Answer by older at 3:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would just suggest cutting back instead of nothing at all. He will probably back down after awhile, I"m sure this just freaked him out.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• O I feel for you :( My husband drink about 2-3 beers a night just to relax. One night I was just teasing him about having a problem so he google the definition of an alcoholic and it basically said you you not considered to have problem unless it starts to affect your daily life and you find yourself NEEDING to drink instead of just wanting too. NO matter how much or how oftenyou drink. Those classes are meant to make you feel like alcohol is horrible for you. My husband is a Paramedic and the AHA (American Heart Association) finally came our and admitted that having a drink a night actually helps with keep a healthy heart <3

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 3:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You can still be an alcoholic with just wine.. If you NEED it daily, yes that is a problem and your resistance to change could be a warning you are becoming or already dependant on alcohol.. Maybe going to the meetings with him will be a good thing. I drink but I drink 6-7 times a year. So I am not knocking you at all.. I have seen many lives broken from this..Again, I am not bashing and I do agree you are grown and can drink but if it is daily, that can be a problem..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• gosh what horrible luck! I would of been bummed too..as long as you guys are not drinking and driving and that was a once in a lifetime freak thing that happened i dont see getting rid of drinking all together
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I'd go with him to a class. I'd also point out that research has shown health benefits to moderate wine drinking.

Right now, he's being an evangelist. That will ease up over time, but he will have learned the lesson. And thank goodness it didn't cost more than money, you know?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Can you guys to agree on meeting half way? You cut down rather than cut out?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I agree with that assessment. Alcohol is not a necessity.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It can't hurt but that's easy for me to say since I don't drink. I never liked the taste of alcohol.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2011