I want to know how to make my son social and take him away from the TV.

my son doesnt like to play with kids. he likes to watch TV and if i do take him out he doesnt play with other kids. hes almost three and doesnt talk could it be from watching tv? should i put him in a childcare with other kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Best thing to do is get your son active outside the home. Try little league or some other sport. As far as not talking I'd have him evaluated by a speech therapist. They can tell you if its something to worry about.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Keep the TV off! :) Can you put him in pre school next year? That would be great for his social skills. Do you have any friends with kids of a similar age you can have play dates with? That would be the best start. Good luck!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 3:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would definitely put him in a preschool program to get him socialized! Kids need friends and if you start him now then when he goes to Kindergarten he will be more likely to excel not only with making friends but also with his work :)

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 3:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• The first and obvious answer is turn off the tv. Does he play with you? If so, take him to a park or playground and play with him. The not talking thing would have me a little worried. Maybe your pediatrician would have some ideas there.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You're in control of the tv....dont turn it on to begin with!
    Anonymous

• As far are the tv thing goes, I am having that problem with my 4 y/o, so when he does watch tv I try to make it educational stuff. Now as far as the talking thing goes, my neice is 4, she just recently started talking and boy does she have a vocabulary. For a while we tried pushing the talking thing on her, but she just wasnt ready. About a month after she turned 4, she let us have it!!!! She is quite the talker now! I would suggest talking to him like you would anybody else. I have been around younger children a lot, and I have found that 9 times out of 10 the children know the words, but choose not to use them until they are ready. If you get the chance quietly watch him and listen for a few minutes when he doesn't know you are watching or listening to him. You would be suprised at how much some kids talk when they dont know someone is listening. Thats how I found out my son had quite the vocabulary.
    callmeBatmom

Answer by callmeBatmom at 4:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• yes keep the tv off and try getting him involved in fun activities try this website. there are some great ideas. very inexpensive too. hope this helps.

http://www.squidoo.com/activities-for-ur-tot
    misstiana

Answer by misstiana at 5:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Turn the TV off... or better yet get rid of it ALL togther.

We do not have one because I got sick of my DD being addicted to it. Life is great now without a TV :)... she even admited it herself lol... she says life is more fun now.
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 6:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• take him to the park or friends house to play. make fun games with the toys you have. that works very well.
    satwins

Answer by satwins at 12:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2011