Calling all mothers!! How do you do it??

When I got pregnant my husbands parents had bought a huge house and wanted us to move in for the time being so I'd have help with the baby. Here's the thing.... everyone works ALL day and since my son is up all night I am too. My husband comes home and takes him for most of the day while I get some good sleep and by the time I wake up it's nighttime again. NOT fun... Today my MIL told me that everyone works full time and it's my responsibility to clean the whole house every day, including her room bathroom. How do I juggle taking care of my son and cleaning the house? It seems like whenever I try to start doing something he wakes up and starts crying. How do you moms do it? I'm still new to being a mommy and can't stand to hear my little guy cry when he doesn't need to...

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 12:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• Anon it sounds like she's already doing everything to me, poor thing!

I agree with the first poster mess is one thing filth is another. As long as you're picking up after yourselves and HELPING with the housework I don't think you owe her your slavedom. Pull the broomstick out of her butt and smack her with it. Well, that being said a baby sling can be a lifesaver, my second little guy was SO clingy but I found I could all my basic housework while wearing him and he was as happy as a pea!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my house is a mess becuase i spend the time with them... there is a difference btw baby mess and straight filth. so aslong as its not filthy they can clean up after themselves you are not there maid!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:20 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• First of all....baby comes first. If they expect you to stay up cleaning the house during the day and then up all night with the baby they need their heads checked.

Sounds to me like they don't remember what it is like to have a small baby. It is a FULL TIME JOB. As the baby gets older and into more of a sleep pattern then it will be easier to find that time to clean...you will figure out a schedule.

You know, it might just be easier if you actually find a job outside the home. I know you want to stay home with your little one but if it's too much pressure from the in-laws then if your gonna work your ass off then you might as well make a pay check while your at it.

What did they do before you moved in? Live like pigs? Everyone in that house is a GROWN ADULT. Everyone should act like it by cleaning up after themselves...if they want someone to come in behind them and clean up they should stay at the Hilton.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• The only way I can get through the day is going by a schedule, and having my daughter on a schedule. But before that happened nothing around the house got done.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• it gets easier as time goes by just do what you can. you need your strength for caring for your son. and do little house work at a time. dont stress hun you'll find a routine that works for you. my house want the cleanest when my kids were first born and right now its actually horrible *blush* im going thru some sh** right now. you'll have up and downs. have you tried that flylady thing? what i ususally do is one room per day and dont spend all that long doing it. when the baby slept i slept all but one nap and during that nap i did some general cleaning. and dont be afraid to ask for help you cant do it all.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 12:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I"m a single mom with an infant. Went through my entire pregnancy on my own, had a c-section, newborn and moved within 2 weeks. I still managed to cook for my other son, go to school, and keep my house organized. I am not working full-time, just graduated this month, and have a baby. It's just something you learn to do as you gain more experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• She is expecting too much from you. Tell her she can clean her own damn bathroom! My husband works full time and still helps around the house and with the baby when he is home. The way he figures it, the baby is my full time job during the day and and we share the responsibility the rest of the time. Yes, I do the bulk of the house work, and I do think that you should do what you can, but as another poster said, Baby comes first. Always!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Tell her to get a maid and do NOT scrub her toilet.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• and like admckenzie said dont clean her bathroom...why cant the in-laws help? its there house just do what you can and dont stress your self you and your baby should come first....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Are you serious? You can't be serious! Up all night with a baby and you get to sleep all day while hubby takes the baby? Lucky you! Pop three red bulls and get to cleaning, life being a mommy is about being tired as hell and still having the energy to get things done like clean! Welcome to mommy life! :)
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2008