Castor oil to induce labor?

I'm 40 weeks plus...has anyone tried castor oil to self iinduce....I s it safe...does anyone have any success/scary stories..I wanna ask ebfore I. Attempt this

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• A couple of moms i know have tried it and it didn't work for them
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 3:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It gives you the shits!! I would look up pressure points to induce labor. I know that when I get my pedicures they wont touch the back of my ankle because it can naturally start you into labor :0)

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 4:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Having sex might help! ;)
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It is NOT safe! Can cause your baby to have a bowel movement, which can be very dangerous. Try walking, sex, and deep squats.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have used it twice as suggested by my midwife. After going over two weeks and being scheduled for an induction I would try anything. I did a lot of research and found that it has been used for a long time to induce. Some say there is a link between the baby having meconium and some say that the longer the baby is in the higher the chance that there is going to be meconium so it is not related. I took it for my first baby and went in to labor. It cleaned me out. I made sure to stay hydrated and it worked and the same with my second little one. Neither the babies or I had any issues with it. I had tried sex more than once a day, walking miles, squatting and everything under the sun but this seemed to be the kicker.
    Anonymous

• Its a myth. The only thing that even comes close to working is stimulating your nipples and thats not 100% either. But it doesnt matter what you try, it wont work unless your body, baby and cervix is ready for labor. With my daughter I was 41 weeks when my water broke. If you dont go into labor soon your doctor will probably induce.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I tried it with my first pregnancy and it didn't work :( But I wasn't late yet and so I think really my body just wasn't ready. I think there are methods, like these, that can induce labor, but your body still has to be ready and you are actually only inducing a day or two earlier than you would have gone on your own. My son did have meconium, but I'm not sure it was related at all and he was absolutely fine. Once they broke my water, they knew there was meconium and baby doesn't take its first breath until their shoulders are out. So, they cleaned his mouth really well before pulling him all the way out and then took him immediately over to suction, just in case.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 4:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I tried for baby #1 and all it did was make me sick, so I didn't even try with baby #2.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It really is NOT safe as it can make the baby poop in utero, which can be very dangerous. Don't do it mama.
    Anonymous

• All it does is give you diarrhea and and that causes cramping which could start contractions, but its not safe, and not guaranteed to start labor... the only thing thats going to get that baby out is when he/she is ready to come out... I know it sucks, just hang in there! (Chocolate Chip Pancakes put me in labor =) )
    Rampy510

Answer by Rampy510 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011