What is the nicest way to say 'i dont want to be stuck at home watching YOUR kids anymore?

i have one child who is in school, we are TTC our second(so watching someone elses babies is not something that will help me emotionally)...
since my child was a baby i have been watching everyones kids, sometimes full time sometimes off and on, always having to drag everyone elses kids with me everywhere i go, when i did get paid for babysitting i liked having the extra spending money, but i just DONT want to babysit anymore.
now once again i have 2 family members one has 3 kids and the other which moved close to me(yeah thats convenient for her. Haha) has 2 kids.... they are desperate for a fulltime babysitter, but they just dont want a stranger at a daycare to take care of their kids (aka- i think its more of the fact that daycare is more expensive than a cheap family babysitter) they are talking to and hinting to me about it, obviously saying im the only person available to babysit since im at home already anyways...
i want to say 'ive done it long enough with everyones kids if i wanted to be at home taking care of kids and babies i would want them to be MY own, no one forced you to have more kids than you could initially afford'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think the way you explained it in the first line of your post was really good. If they can't understand then thats their problem.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 4:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would be upfront and semi honest.... We are TTC for #2 and I am under quite a bit of stress. I don't think it is a good idea for me to take on more stress right now.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think so too, unless you could get paid under the table alot of money,, lol,, just say I am not looking to watch anyone's kids other than my own, visit Craigslist to see if you can find someone cheap??? LOL momma stick to your guns!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would just explain it the way you did with us. Be honest :)
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 4:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think that it is not your family's fault for assuming you want to be a child care provider since you have been doing it for years now. I would just politely tell people when asked that you no longer provide child care and leave it at that. No need for resentment on either side. What if they feel like they have to ask you first since you're family/might need the money/would get your feelings hurt etc? You don't have to say yes but there is no need to resent being asked since you have done it in the past. Good luck TTC by the way.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 4:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• DO THEY HAVE AN EMAIL? email them if it would be easier, email the whole family saying you have steped down from babysitting and are knowlonger doing it. i sugest this cause i am the pushover type and i have a hard time telling people no
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 4:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• just let them know that you are no longer in the sitting services and give them a dead line to find a new sitter.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 4:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• They can drop hints all they want, but that doesn't mean you have to respond to them. If they ask you directly to watch their children, then you can politely tell them that you are no longer interested in babysitting & you would prefer not to go into details. You can let them know that it isn't anything personal against them or their children, though.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• "No, I'm sorry, I can't do it, I decided babysitting just isn't for me anymore. (insert your child's name here) have had to turn down too many (playdates/lunchdates/etc) and I would really like to be able to do more stuff with her." Then if you know anyone who does daycare you can give names/numbers. But then you really do have to stick to your guns and not watch any other kids, especially full-time. I know how you feel though, I've had a few of DH's family members want me to be daycare for their kids while I have 4 of my own who have school activities I like to hlep with.
    Anonymous