Looking to adopt Embryos!

I was wondering if there are any other want to be mothers out there that are looking into Embryo adoption? If so please share any info that you may have learned along the way.

My husband and I are both 24 and have been married for 5 years this August. We have been trying for 3 years this past may and have decided that embryo adoption is the best choice for us. We believe that life begins at conception and we would love the chance to provide a loving home to some snowflakes.

Me: PCOS
Husband: No Sperm

MindaWnt2BMom

Asked by MindaWnt2BMom at 4:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Adoption

• FET is frozen embryo transfer. The embryos are 1st defrosted then placed in a syringe with a long thin tube instead of a needle. The tube is threaded through the vagina and cervix into the uterus. It's then guided by ultrasound to the top of the uteruswhich is where the embryos are placed. They do double check that no embryos are left in the syringe or tube.  There can be some cramping with the procedure.  If you've had an endometrial biopsy, they feel about the same.

There are two weeks of medication and ultrasounds to make sure the uterine lining is just right before the transfer is done.  They want you to take it easy and stay as horizontal as posible for 24 hours after the transfer.  The daily shots of progesterone in oil are the worst part.  You need to use a thicker needle with the oil.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm curios about this as well!!! I would like to look into how to adopt out embryos
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 4:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Interesting that you mentioned snowflakes. Have you looked at Snowflakes Embryo Adoption program? I think there are others. You'll have to do a homestudy with them and plan on paying about as much as an adoption or IVF, but you get to carry the pregnancy and you know you're taking those little ones out of limbo and giving them a chance at life. We did look into this, but chose traditional adoption. Best of luck to you!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• That's what we did! We did 10 infertility cycles (2 clomid & IUI, 5 injectables & IUI, 3 IVF) that didn't work because of AMA. Then, we found an infertility clinic that did dFET. We were on their waiting list for about 15 months before being matched with embryos. Our 1st dFET cycle worked! Our twins just turned7.  I picked the biggest infertiity clinic in our area that offered this.  I figured they would have the most embryos available.  I know of some people getting on the waiting list of several clinics to try to speed up the process.

It was hard to figure out which embryos to request.  We looked for no family mental illness history.  If we had been willing to adopt African-American embryos, there wouldn't have been any wait.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I read on the snowflake adoptions while we were looking into different options, sounded awesome, and if we could, we would do it in a heartbeat, but I'm high risk for carrying a baby to term, that is our issue, blood clots, we were blessed with one miracle thru birth and that is when they found the blood clot, too risky to have more bio children....
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Thanks everyone for the great responses! We are waiting to be matched right now. It is so exciting! I think this is a great way to start a family. JSD24 could u tell me the about the FET process.
    MindaWnt2BMom

Comment by MindaWnt2BMom (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2011